tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

4 posters

102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car Empty 102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car

Post  Carol Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Most classic car owners are accustomed to the unusual looks other motorists cast toward their relics on the road. But when Margaret Dunning is behind the wheel of her 1930 Packard 740 Roadster, she draws more attention than her vehicle. Dunning, age 102, may be one of a small handful of classic-car drivers who can lay claim to the fact they're older than their vehicles. She was born in 1910, and lives in Plymouth, Michigan, twenty years before her beloved Packard. She's been driving since she was 8 years old, and officially received her license at 12, after her father died. In an appearance at the Concours d' Elegance last month, Dunning recounted her start as an automotive aficionado.

"I'm just a farm girl, and my dad had a lot of machinery, and I adored my dad," she said. "I became familiar with the tools, because the minute I said I didn't know what I was looking for, he'd say, 'Go back to the house.'"

She owns several classic vehicles. In addition to the Packard, she includes a '66 Cadillac DeVille, a '75 Cadillac Eldorado convertible and a 1931 Model A in her collection. The one she still drives the most? Her everyday car, an '03 Cadillac DeVille. Occasionally, she still changes her own oil.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car Empty Re: 102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car

Post  Carol Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 pm

burgundia
    burgundia

102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car Empty Re: 102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car

Post  burgundia Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 am

That is why you sometimes hear that an over 80 years old person drove into a crowd of people after losing control over the vehicle..in USA.
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 pm

VERRRY COOOL!!!! One of my favorite activities is attending Vintage Car Races -- where museum-quality race-cars are actually raced very agressively -- even though some of them are older than that Packard in the video. Some of them are worth close to fifteen million dollars -- and are often brought to the track in semi-trucks full of very valuable race-cars!! It must be nice to have THAT much money!! I'm just happy to be able to watch and listen. I can barely afford the price of admission. I've watched most of the cars in the following video -- examined them closely in the pits -- and spoken with some of the owners and drivers. I spoke with one of them regarding the phsyiological biochemical benefits of coconut water at the molecular level!! No joke!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QZ2g8kbi8VQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xZ_xaY3Trw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EYsGzdBUmaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by orthodoxymoron on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:58 pm

That's how I would like to imagine myself at same age as this lady

102-Year-Old Woman Still Drives Her 82-Year-Old Car Old+lady+riding+bike

Love from me
    mudra
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Me too Mudra. I was talking with my husband earlier letting him know I'm ready to hit the road in an RV and just tour all of the US National parks. He'll retire when our daughter graduates in 2014. Then we're back to the mainland. I've given up on PX - just don't have time for that with so much fun in the offing. Huge Grin

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 am