tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+30
Jenetta
oliverclay
Floyd
magamud
seekeroftruth
THEeXchanger
Owlsden
Beren
malletzky
Carol
Brook
Rasa
earthian
immortalisdolor
HigherLove
Sanicle
iysun
devakas
Anchor
eMonkey
TRANCOSO
spiritwarrior
greybeard
Nebula
Mercuriel
Balance
pedro m
truth and integrity
ClearWater
mudra
34 posters

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1

Anchor
    Anchor

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Empty Re: The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1

Post  Anchor Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:36 am

"You are the creator of your reality, you are the perciever and the life giver to what you believe is possible. You are God making all of this up in your own mind just as I am making a personal note in my own self created universe. We are one and nothing separates us no matter how hard you think we're not."

-- some blogger's sig line

(I found this looking for jokes with the word "silly cow" in them. I was in a totally non-spiritual frame of mind at the time, and this just smacked me in the eyeballs)

John..
    Anonymous

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Empty Re: The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1

Post  Guest Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Anchor wrote:"You are the creator of your reality, you are the perciever and the life giver to what you believe is possible. You are God making all of this up in your own mind just as I am making a personal note in my own self created universe. We are one and nothing separates us no matter how hard you think we're not."

-- some blogger's sig line

(I found this looking for jokes with the word "silly cow" in them. I was in a totally non-spiritual frame of mind at the time, and this just smacked me in the eyeballs)

John..

Well, this just about sums it all up. Good one, John.

BC
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Anchor wrote:

John..

Well you see even " silly cows " hold wisdom close to them Wink
    Thank you for bringing Spirit's gifts to this thread John .

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:01 pm

People love to talk but hate to listen. Listening is not merely not talking, though even that is beyond most of our powers; it means taking a vigorous, human interest in what is being told us. You can listen like a blank wall or like a splendid auditorium where every sound comes back fuller and richer.

- Alice Duer Miller

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:13 am

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Hq_8_910

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 pm

" Zen teacher Ezra Bayda describes the problems that can come from being a compulsive "helper." While we all want to be helpful, we can't neglct our own needs, nor should we help others in search of praise.
    One of the themes of practice is the gradual movement from a self-centered life to a more life-centered one. But what about our efforts to become more life-centered—doing good deeds, serving others, dedicating our efforts to good causes? There's nothing wrong with making these efforts, but they won't necessarily lead us to a less self-oriented life. Why? Because we can do these things without really dealing with our "self." Often our efforts, even for a good cause, are made in the service of our desires for comfort, security, and appreciation. "

Tricycle magazine

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:13 am

"True originality consists not in a new manner but in a new vision."

- Edith Wharton

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Are You a Bucket-Filler or a Dipper?
    by: Author Unknown

You have heard of the cup that overflowed. This is a story of a bucket that is like the cup, only larger, it is an invisible bucket. Everyone has one. It determines how we feel about ourselves, about others, and how we get along with people. Have you ever experienced a series of very favorable things which made you want to be good to people for a week? At that time, your bucket was full.

A bucket can be filled by a lot of things that happen. When a person speaks to you, recognizing you as a human being, your bucket is filled a little. Even more if he calls you by name, especially if it is the name you like to be called. If he compliments you on your dress or on a job well done, the level in your bucket goes up still higher. There must be a million ways to raise the level in another's bucket. Writing a friendly letter, remembering something that is special to him, knowing the names of his children, expressing sympathy for his loss, giving him a hand when his work is heavy, taking time for conversation, or, perhaps more important, listing to him.

When one's bucket is full of this emotional support, one can express warmth and friendliness to people. But, remember, this is a theory about a bucket and a dipper. Other people have dippers and they can get their dippers in your bucket. This, too, can be done in a million ways.

Lets say I am at a dinner and inadvertently upset a glass of thick, sticky chocolate milk that spills over the table cloth, on a lady's skirt, down onto the carpet. I am embarrassed. "Bright Eyes" across the table says, "You upset that glass of chocolate milk." I made a mistake, I know I did, and then he told me about it! He got his dipper in my bucket! Think of the times a person makes a mistake, feels terrible about it, only to have someone tell him about the known mistake ("Red pencil" mentality!)

Buckets are filled and buckets are emptied ? emptied many times because people don't really think about what are doing. When a person's bucket is emptied, he is very different than when it is full. You say to a person whose bucket is empty, "That is a pretty tie you have," and he may reply in a very irritated, defensive manner.

Although there is a limit to such an analogy, there are people who seem to have holes in their buckets. When a person has a hole in his bucket, he irritates lots of people by trying to get his dipper in their buckets. This is when he really needs somebody to pour it in his bucket because he keeps losing.

The story of our lives is the interplay of the bucket and the dipper. Everyone has both. The unyielding secret of the bucket and the dipper is that when you fill another's bucket it does not take anything out of your own bucket. The level in our own bucket gets higher when we fill another's, and, on the other hand, when we dip into another's bucket we do not fill our own ... we lose a little.

For a variety of reasons, people hesitate filling the bucket of another and consequently do not experience the fun, joy, happiness, fulfillment, and satisfaction connected with making another person happy. Some reasons for this hesitancy are that people think it sounds "fakey," or the other person will be suspicious of the motive, or it is "brown-nosing."

Therefore, let us put aside our dipper and resolve to touch someone's life in order to fill their bucket.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Compassion allows us to use our own pain and the pain of others as a vehicle for connection. This is a delicate and profound path.

-Sharon Salzberg

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Every thought I think is creating my future

Louise Hay

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:58 pm

'Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. '

Mark Twain

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:50 pm

SKILLFUL SPEECH:
    SAYING WHAT HELPS, HEALS, AND CREATES HAPPINESS
    by Roger Walsh

http://www.drrogerwalsh.com/articles/skillful-speech/

Religious traditions regard speech as enormously powerful. In the 3,000 year old Hindu Vedas, sacred speech is regarded as a primal creative force, while the Christian gospel of St. John opens with, "In the beginning was the word." These texts imply that the power of speech is awesome. And so it is. A hateful outburst can hurt and harm; kind words can heal and help. In fact, kind words offer much and cost little. Not surprisingly, skillful speech is regarded as a key component of ethical living, and ethical living is a key component of spiritual practice.

When properly understood, ethics is not self-sacrifice but rather enlightened self-interest. Ethical living helps, heals and creates happiness, not only for others, but for ourselves also. It is truly a win-win practice, and a key element of that practice is skillful speech.

One would think our words, so fleeting and unsubstantial, would be easy to change. In practice, it is quite a challenge. Most of us have grown careless with our speech: sometimes saying what people want to hear rather than what is true, spouting little lies to protect our egos, big lies to protect our little lies. All too quickly this becomes a vicious cycle that harms us in ways we don't even recognize. In her wonderful book Kitchen Table Wisdom, the physician Rachel Remen tells the following story of the costs of unethical speech.

A woman with heart disease had suffered frequent chest pain from her disease. Over the years she modified her diet, learned to meditate, and had been successful in controlling most of her pain. Yet some of her pain had been resistant to her efforts. Paying very careful attention to this, she had been shocked to notice that she experienced pain when she was about to do or say something that lacked integrity, that really wasn't true to her values. These were usually small things like not telling her husband something that he did not seem to want to hear, or stretching her values a bit in order to go along with others. Times when she allowed who she really was to become invisible. Even more surprising, sometimes she would know this was happening but sometimes the chest pain would come first, and then, examining the circum stances which provoked it, she would realize for the first time that she had been betraying her integrity. Stress may be as much a question of a compromise of values as it is a matter of external time pressure and fear of failure.

Once the toxic costs of unethical behavior are recognized, life is never quite the same. After all, who wants to continue hurting themselves once they see this is exactly what they are doing? For thousands of years the great religions have warned about the cost of unethical living, and now we see that these costs are not only spiritual, but also psychological and physical.

In light of this, it is no wonder the great religions urge us to choose our words with care and compassion, and to say only what is true and helpful. Buddhists call it "right speech." Right speech requires sensitivity both to other people and to our own motives and emotions. Only then can we see what is both true to our experience and also likely to be helpful.

Right speech is a skill, and like all skills it improves with practice. Practiced over time, it becomes increasingly effortless and produces a growing sense of peace. Gradually it becomes apparent that Jesus was not exaggerating when he claimed that, "The truth will make you free." According to the Buddha, those people who master right speech

Offend no one,

Yet they speak the truth.

Their words are clear,

But never harsh.

They do not take offense,

And they do not give it.

EXERCISES IN SKILLFUL SPEECH

I have found no better nor more succinct summary of skillful speech than the words of the Buddha who recommended, "say only what is true and helpful." This is the essential guideline for practicing skillful speech. So with this guideline in mind, here are two powerful exercises that put it into practice.

Exercise #1: For a Day, Say Only What It True and Helpful

This exercise has multiple benefits. First, it requires being sensitive to your experience to see what is really true for you. For actually, the only thing you can tell the truth about is your own experience. Second, it helps us notice all the temptations to lie or fudge. Suddenly we become sensitized to the fears and phobias, dubious motives, and hidden agendas that can color our words.

To enhance the benefit, it's worth taking some time at the end of the day to reflect on your experience. Were you tempted to fudge, and if so why? What did you gain from truth telling? Less guilt? Perhaps a sense of strength and integrity? This truth telling exercise requires only a few minutes during the day but can offer insights that endure for years. The long-term goal is to eventually make truthful, helpful speech a natural spontaneous way of communicating.

Exercise #2: Give Up Gossip.

Curb your tongue and senses,

and you are beyond trouble.

Let them loose and you are beyond help.

Lao Tzu

For this exercise choose a time period of perhaps a day or a week. Then commit to not saying anything about other people unless you have already said, or would be willing to say this to them directly. Whenever you find yourself tempted to gossip, try to recognize the underlying motive.

Take some time at the end of the day to reflect on your experience. Notice the sense of integrity and strength that comes from holding to the truth, treating people with respect,and refusing to succumb to hurtful talk. "Better than a thousand hollow words," said the Buddha, "is one word that brings peace."

THE HIGHER REWARDS OF SKILLFUL SPEECH

With practice, skillful speech and ethical living become a way of life. Then they are no longer a struggle or even a practice. Rather they become a natural, effortless, and enjoyable expression of our true nature. Jack Kornfield summarized the growth of ethics as follows:

At first, precepts [ethics] are a practice. Then they become a necessity, and finally they become a joy. When our heart is awakened they spontaneously illuminate our way in the world. This is called Shining Virtue. The light around someone who speaks truth, who consistently acts with compassion for all, even in great difficulty, is visible to all around them.

Effortless skillful speech and spontaneous ethical living are expressions of the higher reaches of spiritual practice in general, and of Dzogchen practice in particular. Dzogchen is rare among spiritual traditions in emphasizing spontaneity as both a powerful practice and a culminating way of being. Skillful speech and ethical living allow us to recognize that we are not who we thought we were, and that who we are is naturally ethical and trustworthy. As such we can relax and simply be ourselves, trusting that the natural expression of our true nature will tend towards appropriate, compassionate action guided by the desire to ensure the well-being of all.

Acknowledgements

This discussion is based on the section on ethics from Roger Walsh's book Essential Spirituality: The Seven Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind, (Wiley Press: 1999). For more information on related topics see http://www.drrogerwalsh.com/ .

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:03 pm

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:05 pm

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Have You Noticed Someone Today?

Most of us are not aware of the power of taking conscious moments to acknowledge someone. We don't realize how incredible it is for the person receiving it, especially those who rarely ever get a moment like that in their life. We especially don't know how incredible it is for us, the ones who are giving this moment away, and how simple it is to truly transform our life by making this a part of our daily experience.

For example, what if someone handed you a card today that said:

Thank you for being who you are and doing
    what you do. Who you are is wonderful
    and what you do is important.

How would that feel, especially if that person was a stranger? Would it surprise you? Has that ever happen to you? How do you think the give felt taking giving you this card?

I know how both sides of this coin feels for I have both received that card, which blew me away, and I've given hundreds of them away and felt that "energetic surge" of making a difference within just a few seconds it took to simply acknowledge that person with that card.

I didn't understand any of this until 8 years ago when I was introduced to the power of acknowledgment. Years later I wrote a small book on this topic called One Simple Act (soon to be re-released as a Messenger Mini-Book.)

Once again I'm inspired to bring more awareness forth on the power of acknowledgment and today I've got a fun way to do it and a big call to action to those of you who have taken your time to read this email today. Here's my invitation...

First... I Dare you to notice 10 people over the next week. What does this mean? It means that you will consciously "see" people in and around your life and let them know you "see" them. Give them a compliment, pull them aside and tell them how important they are to you, give them a hug, tell them how important they are. Do this in your family, your work and to total strangers. See how it feels and notice the difference it makes.

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 App-ca10

Robert Evans

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:39 am

On Crime and Punishment - Kahlil Gibran

It is when your spirit goes wandering upon the wind,
    That you, alone and unguarded, commit a wrong unto others and therefore unto yourself.
    And for that wrong committed must you knock and wait a while unheeded at the gate of the blessed.

Like the ocean is your god-self;
    It remains for ever undefiled.
    And like the ether it lifts but the winged. Even like the sun is your god-self;
    It knows not the ways of the mole nor seeks it the holes of the serpent.
    But your god-self dwells not alone in your being.
    Much in you is still man, and much in you is not yet man,
    But a shapeless pigmy that walks asleep in the mist searching for its own awakening.
    And of the man in you would I now speak.
    For it is he and not your god-self nor the pigmy in the mist, that knows crime and the punishment of crime.

Oftentimes have I heard you speak of one who commits a wrong as though he were not one of you, but a stranger unto you and an intruder upon your world.
    But I say that even as the holy and the righteous cannot rise beyond the highest which is in each one of you,
    So the wicked and the weak cannot fall lower than the lowest which is in you also.
    And as a single leaf turns not yellow but with the silent knowledge of the whole tree,
    So the wrong-doer cannot do wrong without the hidden will of you all.
    Like a procession you walk together towards your god-self.
    You are the way and the wayfarers.
    And when one of you falls down he falls for those behind him, a caution against the stumbling stone.
    Ay, and he falls for those ahead of him, who though faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone.

And this also, though the word lie heavy upon your hearts:
    The murdered is not unaccountable for his own murder,
    And the robbed is not blameless in being robbed.
    The righteous is not innocent of the deeds of the wicked,
    And the white-handed is not clean in the doings of the felon.
    Yea, the guilty is oftentimes the victim of the injured,
    And still more often the condemned is the burden bearer for the guiltless and unblamed.
    You cannot separate the just from the unjust and the good from the wicked;
    For they stand together before the face of the sun even as the black thread and the white are woven together.
    And when the black thread breaks, the weaver shall look into the whole cloth, and he shall examine the loom also.

If any of you would bring to judgment the unfaithful wife,
    Let him also weigh the heart of her husband in scales, and measure his soul with measurements.
    And let him who would lash the offender look unto the spirit of the offended.
    And if any of you would punish in the name of righteousness and lay the ax unto the evil tree, let him see to its roots;
    And verily he will find the roots of the good and the bad, the fruitful and the fruitless, all entwined together in the silent heart of the earth.
    And you judges who would be just,
    What judgment pronounce you upon him who though honest in the flesh yet is a thief in spirit?
    What penalty lay you upon him who slays in the flesh yet is himself slain in the spirit?
    And how prosecute you him who in action is a deceiver and an oppressor,
    Yet who also is aggrieved and outraged?

And how shall you punish those whose remorse is already greater than their misdeeds?
    Is not remorse the justice which is administered by that very law which you would fain serve?
    Yet you cannot lay remorse upon the innocent nor lift it from the heart of the guilty.
    Unbidden shall it call in the night, that men may wake and gaze upon themselves.
    And you who would understand justice, how shall you unless you look upon all deeds in the fullness of light?
    Only then shall you know that the erect and the fallen are but one man standing in twilight between the night of his pigmy-self and the day of his god-self,
    And that the corner-stone of the temple is not higher than the lowest stone in its foundation.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:48 am

"Remember that there is only one important time and that is now. The present moment is the only time over which we have dominion. The most important person is always the person you are with, who is right before you, for who knows if you will have dealings with any other person in the future? The most important pursuit is making the person standing at your side happy, for that alone is the pursuit of life."

Tolstoy, from his story The Emperor's Three Questions

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:55 am

"You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you."

- Brian Tracy

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 pm

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 BSTAR-1

Oh heavenly star
    guiding light
    of love and hope
    light my path
    and guide my way
    illuminate my heart
    and magnify my soul
    may I serve humanity
    and offer myself
    through the heart of love
    and the grace of Heaven

Gail Swanson

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Joy is the healer. Joy is the initiator. It offers you the freedom to reach beyond your bounds and beyond your horizons: You can soar. Joy can lift you transcendent into the radiant wonder where magic blooms and miracles blossom. Joy is the healer. Joy is the initiator allowing love to reign.

—Lazaris

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:06 am

"I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teachings my blood whispers to me."

- Hermann Hesse

Love Always
    mudra
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:09 pm

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Pull31
    spiritwarrior
    spiritwarrior

Post  spiritwarrior Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 pm

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Rainbowoffaith

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Faith

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 BlueRoseFaithHebrews11-1

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Dream

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Faith-1
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:03 pm

Thank you for your gifts Spiritwarrior sunny

Love from me
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:05 pm

The Chalice of Wisdom - Part 1 - Page 12 Rose_droplet

On Joy and Sorrow
    Kahlil Gibran

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
    Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
    And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
    When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
    When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater thar sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
    But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
    Together they come, and when one sits, alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
    Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
    When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

Love Always
    mudra

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am