tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

Destination: Arcturas!

HigherLove
    HigherLove

Destination: Arcturas!  Empty Destination: Arcturas!

Post  HigherLove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:54 am

Destination: Arcturas!  20101110

http://www.share-international.org/maitreya/Ma_starsign.htm#newpics201107

PREFACE: Please note that this post has been a rough-draft/running record of searching I have been doing. As this all started with me seeing a star that I did not understand/that drew my attention, and as I was not sure where to start, this post reflects, in many cases, my random browsing while simply trying to learn more. For example, in the beginning, I posted about Benjamin Creme. It only happened this way because of the way information popped up in the search engine.

As best as I can tell, Arcturus has nothing to do with Creme, or Maitreya. However, as noted, it is where I started.

I am not into guru worship, either (although Jesus was a cool dude).

Originally posted erroneously under "contactee" rubric. I am still not really sure where it should be, but here goes:

Here is the background of my experience (Note: in the pics above, what we have been seeing looks most like the middle picture, with lots of red and green:

http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t3150-ufo-over-skies-of-northern-california-9-2-2011-1100-1145-pm

HigherLove wrote:Last night Gregg and I were hanging out in our garage, in the twilight. As the skies grew darker, my peripheral vision picked up on some type of flashing to my right. My brain told me it was just a bit of atmospheric shenanigans. As the skies continued to darken, my brain told me it was just a twinkling star.

When I saw what seemed like a tiny bolt of lightning, the object caught my full attention.

At first it appeared to be an amber, disc-shaped star. Then it started flashing. That is when I called Gregg’s attention to it. By the time he looked at it, the “star” displayed red and green colors that spun around in a circle. Like me, Gregg’s first reaction was that it may be a passing jet. I joked that it was Santa Claus.

A few minutes later, the “star” was in the same spot. No longer a sphere, it took on a cylindrical shape. Red, green, and amber. This time, however, the colors were flashing vertically. The “star” lit up as if it was a bolt of lightning.

Then it moved. Fast.

After a discussion about it later, Gregg and I both said that it looked like it could be in two places at the same time, because it would move super-fast, in a zig-zag motion, up and down, right and left – and it could stop, instantly.

It did this for nearly an hour. It never moved closer to us or further from us, and always appeared small. But, it was not a star. It was closer than a star and it was putting on a show.

As we were looking toward the west, if it were a star, it would have descended behind the hills and disappeared. It did the opposite, and rose in the sky. By 11:45, it had risen quite high, and returned to an amber disc.

My sister saw it, also.

I do not know of anything that behaves like what I saw.

Any ideas?

Any ideas as to why I felt full of great love throughout the entire experience?

I do not feel anonymous, any longer. Much pressure to speak in third person.

Looking for connections to the redwoods and the array at Mt. Shasta.

Earthquakes.

Bread crumbs. Something is happening.

HigherLove wrote:The same thing happened again, last night.

I have to learn how to learn more about what I might be seeing.

I guess this makes me more of an "observer" than a contactee...

Ah, nomenclature.

scratch

Telepathy doth seem to be the most efficient means of communication.

In the meantime, there are a few episodes of Ancient Aliens in cue on the DVR...

Life is good.

And Carol: should you read this, I had to let go of the hospice gig. It was too much. Life with Gregg is bright. The trees and critters are blissfully happy 'round these parts (for today).

And where is Linda? The Black Widow spider is still nesting on the porch. She comes out after dark, every night. Gregg named her "Sadie".

afro

Last edited by HigherLove on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed the title of thread X3; add Preface)
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Destination: Arcturas!  Empty Re: Destination: Arcturas!

Post  HigherLove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:55 am

Maitreya the World Teacher steps forward

Maitreya, the World Teacher, has been based in the Asian community of London since July 1977, gradually emerging into full public view.

Artist, author and lecturer Benjamin Creme has for over 35 years been preparing the way for this extraordinary event.

In December 2008 Benjamin Creme announced that in the very near future a large, bright star would appear in the sky visible throughout the world, night and day, heralding the imminent appearance of Maitreya in His first interview on a major US television programme.

Within weeks reports from all over the world of an unusually bright star, often moving and changing colour, began to appear in the media and on YouTube

On 14 January 2010 Benjamin Creme announced that Maitreya had given His first interview, on American television, and that millions had heard Him speak both on television and the internet.

Benjamin Creme explained: “He was introduced not as Maitreya, the World Teacher and Head of our Spiritual Hierarchy, but simply as a man, one of us. In this way He ‘ensures that men follow and support Him for the truth and sanity of His ideas rather than for His status’. He spoke earnestly of the need for peace, achievable only through the creation of justice and the sharing of the world’s resources.”

Read further >>>

View video of Benjamin Creme's announcement >>>

Maitreya has now given a series of 38 television interviews [as of 12 May 2011], and more are expected to take place in the Americas, Japan, Europe and the rest of the world. Maitreya’s open mission has begun.

http://www.share-international.org/index.htm

Last edited by HigherLove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am

Maitreya’s place in the Spiritual Hierarchy

Main article: Maitreya (Theosophy)

Maitreya,pic said to be one of the Masters of the Ancient Wisdom, is a being regarded by those adherent to Theosophy to be the most spiritually advanced being of human origin that has so far evolved during this Earth round (period of spiritual evolution), except for Buddha, in the Spiritual Hierarchy of Earth. (Sanat Kumara doesn't count, because he is said to be from the civilization that Theosophists believe exists on the etheric plane of Venus that already is hundreds of millions of years in advance of our civilization.[1][2]) It is believed Maitreya has attained the seventh Level of Initiation. In the teachings of Benjamin Creme and Alice A. Bailey he is also referred to as Christ (see the section below called “Maitreya’s overshadowing of Jesus”). The Theosophical concept of the Maitreya is modeled on the Buddhist Maitreya.

Maitreya is also believed by Theosophists to hold an office in the Hierarchy of the Masters of the Ancient Wisdom called The World Teacher, the function of which is to encourage and inspire the development of religious leaders, and various world religions such that each people or specific civilization (i.e., Classical civilization, Western civilization, Chinese civilization, Hindu civilization, Persian civilization, Islamic civilization , etc.) will have the religion that is best suited for them.[3]

In the Ascended Master Teachings, Maitreya, besides being called Lord Maitreya, is also referred to as the Cosmic Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maitreya_(Benjamin_Creme)
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 am

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:18 am

This is beautifull HigherLove and so lovely you could share this experience with Gregg.
    A blessing I would say whatever that appearance may be it shined on you two.
    It's great to hear life is good and that you chose to just live it in peace and with love everyday.

Much Love for you
    mudra
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:03 pm

mudra wrote:This is beautifull HigherLove and so lovely you could share this experience with Gregg.
    A blessing I would say whatever that appearance may be it shined on you two.
    It's great to hear life is good and that you chose to just live it in peace and with love everyday.

Much Love for you
    mudra

The Karen
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Video of the star, as seen from around the world -

https://youtu.be/yuuMOvy1KNE
    orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm

While I try to remain open to anything and everything, I will always try to peer behind the curtain, to directly view the man (or woman) who is controlling the show. There can be a variety of spectacular events and individuals, but what is their true source, and what hidden agendas might exist? Enjoy the show, but keep asking questions...
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:53 am

Very very interesting Troy. I am visited by the bright blue orb again in the past couple of days. Flashing on and off a few times a day.

Regarding the spider: if one's greatest fear is that of spiders and widowhood, would it not be a perfect lesson to have a black widow spider start a nest literally two feet from one's bed in the sliding glass door frame?

The black widow spider had to go so David removed her and her nest that had hundreds of eggs. My house already has the brown recluse spiders and the big brown ones (as big as my hand) with loving eyes. There is not a room without several spiders at once. I am facing my greatest fear every moment. I considered wearing insect repellent to bed as they crawl on us while we sleep. I wash spiders out of my hair in my morning shower every once in a while.

Living in deep woods is not for sissies. This part of the forest is filled with animals that are dangerous. If it's not a bear on my porch, it's a report of a big cat lurking. A panther who is killing the deer. Our neighbor's golden retriever was just bitten over one hundred times by a rattlesnake. The people went out for a bite to eat and the dog was bitten over and over while being trapped in his outdoor pen. The dog was rushed to the vet and he is alive and slightly disabled now.

What's next, crocodiles?

I think we are in the time of overcoming our greatest challenges. I thought the city was dangerous. Now, I'm not so sure, giggle.
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 am

orthodoxymoron wrote:While I try to remain open to anything and everything, I will always try to peer behind the curtain, to directly view the man (or woman) who is controlling the show. There can be a variety of spectacular events and individuals, but what is their true source, and what hidden agendas might exist? Enjoy the show, but keep asking questions...

Thank you. I agree.

The "star" has been visible every night since first I saw it. :op

:)
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 am

lindabaker wrote:Very very interesting Troy. I am visited by the bright blue orb again in the past couple of days. Flashing on and off a few times a day.

Regarding the spider: if one's greatest fear is that of spiders and widowhood, would it not be a perfect lesson to have a black widow spider start a nest literally two feet from one's bed in the sliding glass door frame?

The black widow spider had to go so David removed her and her nest that had hundreds of eggs. My house already has the brown recluse spiders and the big brown ones (as big as my hand) with loving eyes. There is not a room without several spiders at once. I am facing my greatest fear every moment. I considered wearing insect repellent to bed as they crawl on us while we sleep. I wash spiders out of my hair in my morning shower every once in a while.

Living in deep woods is not for sissies. This part of the forest is filled with animals that are dangerous. If it's not a bear on my porch, it's a report of a big cat lurking. A panther who is killing the deer. Our neighbor's golden retriever was just bitten over one hundred times by a rattlesnake. The people went out for a bite to eat and the dog was bitten over and over while being trapped in his outdoor pen. The dog was rushed to the vet and he is alive and slightly disabled now.

What's next, crocodiles?

I think we are in the time of overcoming our greatest challenges. I thought the city was dangerous. Now, I'm not so sure, giggle.

The star is something anybody could see, which is sort of what surprises me (i.e. why are there not more people seeing it / talking about it?).

____

Your spider situation sounds pretty scary. I think that would bother me, too.

Gregg just found another Black Widow at the front door. So, both entryways are covered. In this case it feels more like protection. They stay put, and I like that. Now we have "Sadie" and "Bellattrix" (or Bernadette, if Gregg wins out).

Nutbar
    Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 am

I've been having a good look at all the photos Creme has up on his website that they claim are images of this star and I'm just not convinced as there are so many different images, some of which look like shots of UFOs etc. From your description, that was my initial impression of what you saw too and it sounds very, very cool!! Cool

In order to gain a balanced perspective on Creme's message, I think this video is well worth assessing. I'd love to know what you think about it. I love you

PS Great to see you back posting again and best wishes to Greg. Hugs
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Sanicle wrote:I've been having a good look at all the photos Creme has up on his website that they claim are images of this star and I'm just not convinced as there are so many different images, some of which look like shots of UFOs etc. From your description, that was my initial impression of what you saw too and it sounds very, very cool!! Cool

In order to gain a balanced perspective on Creme's message, I think this video is well worth assessing. I'd love to know what you think about it. I love you

PS Great to see you back posting again and best wishes to Greg. Hugs

Thanks! Hopefully I will get to this by this weekend. :)

To me, Creme and the "star" may very well be separate matters, entirely.

I am still digging...

scratch
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm

http://askville.amazon.com/Star-blinking-distinct-red-blue-green-white-eastern-sky/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=4963072

If you see a red or green sparkle in the sky, it may just be a star – perhaps Sirius, Capella, or Arcturus.

These stars are among the top five brightest stars in the sky. When they appear low to the horizon and are shining through a thicker layer of haze, they can sometimes appear to splinter into different colors (called the scintillation effect). Thus, these normally white stars could appear red or green.

You can see Arcturus low on the northwest horizon around 10 p.m. Capella appears low in the northeast around the same time, while Sirius, the brightest of all stars, emerges in the southeast around 3 a.m.

???????????????????

Arcturus -

Re: Arcturus - 26th March 2008, 10:18 PM
    flashes red and green to me lol looks like a crazy christmas light

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/61034-arcturus.html

A new discovery in astronomy will occur

Cayce provided a major clue that astronomers have not yet taken up: the discovery of the revolution of the solar system around a star system composed of Arcturus and the Pleiades.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/cayce11.html

Last edited by HigherLove on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm

There is some connection with Arcturus and Virgo (my star sign). I also love the "great bear" comment. :op

Arcturus

Boötes ~ "The One Who Is Coming"
    The Savior in Pisces who frees humanity from subservience to the form

The star Arcturus and the constellation Boötes are referred to more or less interchangeably. Boötes is generally considered to be a Herdsman (as in French: Le Bouvier), for he eternally shepherds the stars around the North Pole.

The constellation Boötes contains the fourth brightest star in our entire sky, Arcturus, a red giant about 24 times larger than the Sun with a luminosity 115 times our sun, lying 36 light years away from the earth. Arcturus is known esoterically as the herder of the Divine Will emanating from the seven stars of the Big Dipper and acts as a bridge between these and Virgo the Virgin, nourisher of the Christ consciousness within the form.

Filled with Divine Will, Arcturus, as the bridge between the seven main stars of the Great Bear and Virgo the Virgin, stimulates great evolutionary changes to all in its influence. Close by Virgo is then the Holy Grail that receives the Will of God.

http://souledout.org/cosmology/highlights/arcturushighlights/arcturushighlights.html

Oh: even if what I am seeing is Arcturus, it does not "twinkle". It flashes and pulses and just acts odd.
    firefly
    firefly

Post  firefly on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:25 am

Be very careful members of the Mist. I have been reading about Benjamin Creme's Maitreya for over 11 years now and I am convinced that he is a fake. If you follow Share International website you will read that they are planning his stepping onto the world stage, everyone will see him at the same time (holographic image?)he will be heard and speak in all languages and will bring peace to the earth (Order out of Chaos?) He will appear as the Messiah to the jews, Imam Mahdi to the moslems, Christ to the christians and Christ Consciousness to the new age. I believe he is a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing and will fool the world. With the technology the PTB have this will probably take place in the near future. Constance Cumby wrote a book called "The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" published in 1983 where she discusses Maitreya and Benjamin Creme. If you really want to know the truth I suggest you read her book.

Love and friendship
    firefly
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:37 am

firefly wrote:Be very careful members of the Mist. I have been reading about Benjamin Creme's Maitreya for over 11 years now and I am convinced that he is a fake. If you follow Share International website you will read that they are planning his stepping onto the world stage, everyone will see him at the same time (holographic image?)he will be heard and speak in all languages and will bring peace to the earth (Order out of Chaos?) He will appear as the Messiah to the jews, Imam Mahdi to the moslems, Christ to the christians and Christ Consciousness to the new age. I believe he is a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing and will fool the world. With the technology the PTB have this will probably take place in the near future. Constance Cumby wrote a book called "The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" published in 1983 where she discusses Maitreya and Benjamin Creme. If you really want to know the truth I suggest you read her book.

Love and friendship
    firefly

Thanks. Your caution is duly noted.

Whatever the meaning, Arcturas is beautiful to watch.

sunny

Oh: To me, "Christ consciousness" is an energy born of love, and is incapable of deception.
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 am

Interesting Arcturas sight w/some information on "Planet X".

I am posting bread crumbs for further research. I can only really endorse my own experience, which I grow to doubt more and more every day.

So yes of course -- caveat emptor.

http://ask-aliens.blogspot.com/2011/06/images-of-arcturus.html

Video of Arcturus' "twinkling". I saw this in red and green. Still can. It is "quiet" tonight, however. That is, the star IS flickering, and NOT pulsing/having a "strobe-light" effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPTluA7PmMI&feature=fvsr

very strong scintillation effects, observed on 08.11.2010 (dusk)

Arcturus is the brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere.
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 am

Finally found a video that is very close to what I have been seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shg5quUvmzA&feature=related

From the comments:

my buddy sees stars flicker every night and swears it is a ufo.. he doesn't understand the colors and thinks he can see it move around violently fast.. he says its happening as im watching.. but he doesn't realize its just his eyes fooling him.. you know of any comprehensive links you could send me that explain both? im really sick of hearing him blab about ufo's.

Also - to correct an error : Arcturas is ascending, as it should. My apologies for stating previously that it went the wrong direction.

And honestly, my gut feeling about Creme is not good, and has not been from the beginning (Bill Maher breaks through the crap pretty quickly). For me, this is now about Arcturus, and whatever significance it has in regard to our future, if any.

I have not yet seen any direct mention of Arcturas being the star that Creme spoke about; rather, just speculation.

Sometimes a star is just a star...

I would be remiss were I not to mention the numinous quality to this experience, and the seeming serendipity on several levels.

Good, bad or indifferent, my intuition just told me to take notice.

jocolor
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 am

Like this, which I just found in today's paper (usually not so obvious). :op

http://www.bing.com/events/search?q=events near 95451&p1=[Events+source="vertical"+qzeventid="z199001805"]&form=MSNLAP

Lake County's Window to the Universe
    Date: Saturday, September 17, 2011
    Time: 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM · Other dates and times
    Venue: Taylor Observatory - Norton Planetarium, Kelseyville, CA

Enjoy the Stars, Constellations and Deep Sky Objects under the dark skies of Lake County. Taylor Observatory's monthly Public Event includes a presentation or lecture, a planetarium experience and astronomical viewing. A small donation is appreciated. For more information call the Observatory information line or visit our website.
    Category: Community

I think I will take Gregg, and a list of questions.
    burgundia
    burgundia

Post  burgundia on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:20 am

firefly wrote:Be very careful members of the Mist. I have been reading about Benjamin Creme's Maitreya for over 11 years now and I am convinced that he is a fake. If you follow Share International website you will read that they are planning his stepping onto the world stage, everyone will see him at the same time (holographic image?)he will be heard and speak in all languages and will bring peace to the earth (Order out of Chaos?) He will appear as the Messiah to the jews, Imam Mahdi to the moslems, Christ to the christians and Christ Consciousness to the new age. I believe he is a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing and will fool the world. With the technology the PTB have this will probably take place in the near future. Constance Cumby wrote a book called "The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" published in 1983 where she discusses Maitreya and Benjamin Creme. If you really want to know the truth I suggest you read her book.

Love and friendship
    firefly

I do not follow any gurus...
    Sanicle
    Sanicle

Post  Sanicle on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am

Love the websites you're finding while doing your research Higher Love. They've been an education to me also. I never knew about scintillating stars and it explains so much.

For what it's worth, I think you're on the ball with it being Arcturus or another star. Have fun at the observatory! Very Happy
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Sanicle wrote:Love the websites you're finding while doing your research Higher Love. They've been an education to me also. I never knew about scintillating stars and it explains so much.

For what it's worth, I think you're on the ball with it being Arcturus or another star. Have fun at the observatory! Very Happy

Thanks! It also turns out that I was not imagining that Arcturus moves a different direction than other stars:

Arcturus, a red giant, looks orange to the eye. It is the brightest star on the northern half of Earth’s sky dome. Arcturus is especially noteworthy for its large proper motion, or sideways motion across our sky. Only Alpha Centauri – our sun’s nearest neighbor among the stars – has a higher proper motion among the first-magnitude, or bright, stars in the stellar neighborhood. What can the proper motion of Arcturus be telling us?

Arcturus, brightest star in the constellation Bootes

It’s telling us that Arcturus is moving at a tremendous rate of speed (122 km/s) relative to our solar system. Moreover, Arcturus is not moving with the general stream of stars in the flat disk of our Milky Way galaxy. Instead, it is cutting perpendicularly through the galactic disk. Arcturus is thought to be an old star. It appears to be moving with a group of at least 52 other such stars, known as the Arcturus stream. Arcturus is likely to be considerably older than our sun. When the sun evolves to become a red giant, the sun might be a star much like Arcturus is now.

http://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/bright-orange-arcturus-use-the-big-dipper-to-find-it

This star is hardly new (just to state the over-obvious, by now). :op
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:43 pm

More bread crumbs for further study -

THE ARCTURUS PROJECT
    [v1.01]
    (Can you decode messages from an alien world?
    )

At 5:31pm on August 1st 1997, a radio message was received at the ERSO Radio Observatory, coming from Arcturus. The signal received appears to be of intelligent origin, rather than a natural phenomenon. The signal is binary in nature, consisting of an amplitude-modulated (AM) carrier wave containing a tone that oscillates between two frequencies. 16129 distinct bits were recorded (tone high = 1, tone low = 0), then there was a pause 68 seconds long before the next "page" began. During this pause, the carrier wave was still present, though the amplitude-modulation ceased (the tone was silent). Several distinct pages were received in this manner, and then the whole process simply repeated, and continues to repeat to this day. (if you are interested in hearing how they sound, you can download a program to play the messages through your internal PC speaker, and it now includes the sourcecode)
    Each page has been stored in a simple text file, with each bit represented as an ASCII character ("0" or "1"), in the order they were received, 60 characters per line (arbitrary number chosen, 60 fits in most text viewers).

Your goal is to try to decode these messages. You may use whatever resources you have at your disposal, including but not limited to books on cryptography, physics, astronomy, and radio. Discuss it with your friends, or with your enemies for that matter! You may also find that writing computer programs can be helpful too, parcitularly for formatting the message properly. Do whatever it takes to decode the messages and extract what information you can.

Hint for getting started: A message is much easier to read when you know how to view it correctly first.

Think you have the answer? necrobones at necrobones dot com, and tell me what you've found! Don't ask for hints though, that's what the rest of the world is for... :-)

6/19/98: I have created a new message board for the Arcturus Project, and for any other "SETI-Games", hence the name of the board: The SETI-Games Message Board. I encourage everyone to discuss this project, and create their own SETI-games and discuss them as well. Please don't be discouraged if activity on the message board is slow at first. If everyone participates, we'll all have a lot of fun!

http://necrobones.com/seti/arcturus/
    HigherLove
    HigherLove

Post  HigherLove on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Shh...listen...can you hear the aliens? Well most can’t, but some are willing to pay a lot to listen. The SETI Institute is back up and running after falling on some rough times. KTVU reports...

“Since April the line has been disconnected. The Allen Telescope Array of 42 dish antennas, set up near Mount Shasta by SETI and UC Berkley, has been in ‘hibernation’ since state funding dried up.”

The funding should allow SETI to finish construction on the Allen Array -- the first instrument designed just for the purpose of listening to the skies. So who came to SETI’s rescue? KCBS has a representative explaining they were brought back by popular demand -- and by some celebrity support.

“We had a public fundraising campaign, it was called SETIStars and various people contributed their time and their money. Jodie Foster, other science fiction writers, and so forth. That’s raised a couple of hundred thousand dollars, and that is sort of the down payment on getting this antenna back up and running.”

Jodie Foster, aliens... Haven’t we seen this movie before? PC Mag points out the connection to one of Foster’s famous films.

“Jodie Foster, whose movie Contact focused on SETI's search for alien life and the fictional development of a spacecraft that took Foster's character, Ellie Arroway, on a journey to a distant galaxy.”

The SETI institute has never made contact with an alien, but they have connected with some strong advocates. The Christian Science Monitor reports...

“Other contributors...include science fiction writer Larry Niven and Apollo 8 astronaut Bill Anders, who wrote: ‘It is absolutely irresponsible of the human race not to be searching for evidence of extraterrestrial intelligence.’”

Still not convinced? Foster took to the SETI website herself explaining why we should all listen for aliens...

“The Allen Telescope Array could turn science fiction into science fact...I’m a SETIStar because...the ATA is ‘good to go’ and we need to return it to the task of searching newly discovered planetary worlds for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence...”

http://www.newsy.com/videos/listening-for-aliens-seti-set-to-reopen/

Destination: Arcturas!  Photo210

You helped the SETI Institute reach its first SETIStars campaign goal of $200,000 in only 45 days!

We are absolutely thrilled that thousands of people from all over the world stepped forward to declare their support for SETI science just when help was needed the most.

The plan for re-starting the Allen Telescope Array is almost complete, with a target date for new observations sometime in mid-September if all goes well. We are also working on new opportunities for you to participate in our science. So stay tuned!

Thank you again to everyone who contributed support to resume the search!

P.S. - It's not too late to contribute. The SETIStars web page is still active.

http://www.seti.org/

Destination: Arcturas!  Array10

The Allen Telescope Array (ATA) is a "Large Number of Small Dishes" (LNSD) array designed to be highly effective for “commensal” (simultaneous) surveys of conventional radio astronomy projects and SETI (search for extraterrestrial intelligence) observations at centimeter wavelengths.

The idea for the ATA emerged in a series of workshops convened by the SETI Institute in 1997 to define the path for future development of technology and search strategies for SETI. The advance of computer and communications technology made it clear that LNSD arrays were more efficient and less expensive than traditional large antennas. The final report of the workshop, “SETI 2020,” recommended the construction of the One Hectare Telescope. (1HT) (A hectare is an area equivalent to a square 100 meters on a side.)

The SETI Institute sought private funds for the 1HT and in 2001 Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft) agreed to fund the technology development and first phase of construction (42 antennas). In October 2007 the array began commissioning tests and initial observations.

The array is now being used for radio astronomy observations of our galaxy and other galaxies, gamma ray bursts and transient radio sources, and SETI.

The ATA is a joint project of the SETI Institute and the Radio Astronomy Lab of the University of California Berkeley.

http://www.seti.org/ata

Current date/time is Fri May 29, 2020 2:38 am