tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

2 posters

How Gypsies Escaped Tsunami in Thailand

mudra
    mudra

How Gypsies Escaped Tsunami in Thailand Empty How Gypsies Escaped Tsunami in Thailand

Post  mudra Fri May 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Sea Gypsies Saw Signs In The Waves

The tsunami may have lasted only a couple of hours, but it will not go away. New casualties are still being discovered: Thais, Swedes, Sri Lankans, and Indonesians. The death toll has topped 175,000. And there's more than 125,000 still missing and presumed dead.

But there's one group who live precisely where the tsunami hit hardest who suffered no casualties at all. They are the sea gypsies of the Andaman Sea, or as they call themselves, the Moken.

They've lived for hundreds of years on the islands off the coast of Thailand and Burma. They are, of all the peoples of the world, among the least touched by modern civilization.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/18/60minutes/main681558.shtml#ixzz1Mw0bt1Nu

video: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=681813n

Love Always
    mudra

Last edited by mudra on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Oliver
    Oliver

How Gypsies Escaped Tsunami in Thailand Empty Re: How Gypsies Escaped Tsunami in Thailand

Post  Oliver Fri May 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Thank you for this post, Mudra. I always liked gypsies, their freedom, their power of adaptation and their surviving mode (making SOMETHING out of NOTHING). They are greatest survivors on this planet, spread everywhere and living mostly on very substandard level...with lots of music, btw. This case shows them in real light and I am very interested to learn more of this group.

Greetings!
    mudra
    mudra

How Gypsies Escaped Tsunami in Thailand Empty Re: How Gypsies Escaped Tsunami in Thailand

Post  mudra Fri May 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Hello Oliver
    Good to see you Cheerful
    I found the above article interesting indeed as well as positively inclined towards the gypsies .
    It's all in their honor and deserved to be acknowledged.

Love from me
    mudra

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm