tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+2
orthodoxymoron
Carol
6 posters

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes Empty Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes

Post  Carol Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:39 pm

A fun email notice that looks pretty tasty.

Hello Fellow Gardeners and Friends of Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company,
    We have our winners!

The following veggie gardeners and cooks have won our Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipe Contest: Rita Rosen of Penngrove, CA, for her Savory Comfort Pie, a main dish alternative to the turkey, rich in fall and winter vegetables and protein-packed tofu; Dawn Zaft of Santa Rosa, CA, for her colorful Vibrant Apple-Beet Salad side dish; and Havala Osdoba of Fairfax, CA, for her creative appetizer of Blue Potato Croquettes. We also want to give a special honorable mention to Cara Diekmann of Sullivan, MO, for her inventive pumpkin stir-fry. All winners will receive a free one-year subscription to The Heirloom Gardener magazine.

And, we want to give a special thanks to our recipe contest judge, Jill Nussinow of Northern California, a registered dietitian, author, and highly experienced cooking teacher known as The Veggie Queen. Jill specializes in vegan, vegetarian and gluten free cooking as well as healthful meals created with a pressure cooker. You can find out more about Jill at www.theveggiequeen.com.

Also, a special thanks to all who entered our Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipe Contest. There were many great entries!

Here are the winning recipes for you to try at home:

Savory Comfort Pie (From Rita Rosen of Penngrove, CA)
    Serving: 1 filled pie shell serves 4 as a main dish.

Double the recipe and fill 2 pie shells to serve 8 as a main dish.

Ingredients:
    14 oz (one package) Silken tofu
    2 organic eggs
    1/2 cup organic rice milk or sweetened soy milk
    salt ( mineral or sea salt)
    1 frozen, pre-made organic spelt or whole wheat pie shell
    olive oil
    1 thinly sliced medium onion
    3 cloves of garlic, diced or pressed
    1 cup diced Jimmy Nardello* (sweet) peppers
    1 cup thinly sliced Shiitake mushrooms
    1 medium Yukon Gold potato, grated
    1/2 cup grated Chantenay Red Core* carrots
    2 cups chopped Gigante D' Inverno* spinach
    1 tbsp fresh minced Genovese* basil ( or 1 tsp dry)
    1 tbsp fresh Bouquet * dill (or 1 tsp dry)
    1/2 tsp fresh thyme (1/4 tsp dry)
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    3/4 cup chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts)
    2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
    1 tbsp melted honey (optional)

Start Cookin
    Prepare pre-made pie shell according to package instructions. (You can eliminate pie shell for gluten-free diets and bake entire recipe in an oiled baking dish.)

Rinse and drain tofu. Place into blender with 1/2 cup rice or soy milk. Blend to creamy, custard-like consistency.

Crack 2 eggs into a bowl and beat very lightly with a fork, until yolks and whites are blended.

Add eggs and 1/4 tsp salt to the tofu in the blender and run on low speed for a few seconds, until eggs are mixed in. Set mixture aside.

Saute' onions in oil until they become tender and translucent.

Add garlic, sweet peppers & mushrooms to saute pan, along with 1/4 tsp salt and spices (basil, thyme, dill, and turmeric)

Next add grated potatoes & carrots and mix well to integrate all the ingredients.

Cook all veggies until potatoes soften and are no longer crunchy. If potatoes soak up all the oil and pan becomes too dry, you can add 1/4 cup of rice or soymilk.

(Sometimes at this point I like adding a teaspoon of unrefined coconut oil to moisten and flavor the vegetables.)

Drop in the chopped spinach (Russian Red kale, beet greens or chard are good alternates) and add 1/4 tsp salt.

Continue cooking until spinach is wilted. Set aside cooked veggies.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
    Measure out 2 cups of cooked veggies and fill the pie shell with an even layer.

(Generally it takes about 2 cups of veggies + 2 cups of tofu/ egg mixture to fill a pie shell, depending on how you cut veggies and how much it cooks down.)

Carefully pour the tofu/egg mixture over the top of the veggies, being careful to keep it within the pie shell border. It's tempting to over fill.
    (If any veggies or tofu/egg mix is left over, you can pour it into a small oiled baking dish or ramekin.)

Bake at 375 until set, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

While pie is baking, heat an un-oiled cast iron pan or other heavy bottom pan to high heat and add nuts.

Keep your eye on the pan. Nuts can burn easily. Shake pan several times to prevent burning and to make sure all nuts get toasted.

Once nuts start to give off a toasty aroma, turn off heat and pour in a small bowl. Splash on soy sauce & melted honey and mix well.

When pie is ready and comes out of the oven, sprinkle nuts on top and pat down lightly.
    Set pie aside to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into 4 wedges.
    Enjoy!

Vibrant Apple Beet Salad
    (From Dawn Zaft of The Green Bough Health Cooperative in Sonoma County, CA)

Serves 6-8 folks

Ingredients & Instructions:
    2 bunches of golden beets
    2 bunches of red beets
    Boil these until a fork slide through fairly easily, peel, let cool, then slice into small to medium bits
    Put in a large bowl and set aside

1 Large flavorful apple, diced
    Throw this in with the beets.

Once you've added the apples, squeeze 2-3 limes (I like a lot of lime), onto the beets and apples. This keeps your apples looking fresh Wink

1-2 Yams
    Dice and bake until slightly crisp around the edges

Toss into the mix

3/4 cup (or more) of raw organic cashews
    1 tsp. ghee or butter
    2 TBSP of honey
    1/2 tsp. sea salt

Heat up the ghee/butter and honey until nice and hot.
    Toss in the cashews and coat, cook until nuts start to brown a bit

Put aside and let cool
    This should be nice and sticky like brittle. Break it apart and add to the mix.

Add soft Chevre goat cheese or from your own goats to taste.

You can also add some fresh herbs from your garden to taste. I like a bit of fresh mint or basil.

ENJOY!!

Blue Potato Croquettes with Red Pepper Aioli
    (From Havala Osdoba of Fairfax, CA)

(Makes about 12)

For the croquettes:

1 lb blue potatoes, skin on, roasted (or boiled) until tender
    2 stalks celery, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 an onion, minced
    1/4 c. grapeseed (or other mild) oil
    1/4 c nutritional yeast
    1/2 c chickpea flour
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. ground black pepper
    1/4 t. ground sage
    1 c. bread crumbs
    1/4 c. dried onion flakes

While the potatoes are cooking, sautee the onion, celery, and garlic in the oil until soft and the onion is slightly browned. Drain the potatoes and mash. Add the vegetables, nutritional yeast, chickpea flour, salt, pepper, and sage; stir well. Refrigerate mixture until cool/firm enough to handle comfortably. Mix together the bread crumbs and dried onion.

For each croquette: roll 1/4 c. of the potato mixture into a ball, then coat thoroughly in the bread crumb mixture. On a lightly-greased or nonstick baking sheet, bake 30-40 minutes at 375 until crisp.

For the aioli:

2 T ground flax whisked with 2 T hot water
    1 roasted red pepper, peeled and seeded
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 t. salt
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 c. olive oil.

In a blender or food processor, puree everything but the olive oil. Leaving the blender running, drizzle the olive oil in a thin stream to form an emulsion. Serve warm with the croquettes.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company!

Last edited by Carol on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes Empty Re: Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes

Post  Carol Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:59 am

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes Sedona4
    Sedona, Arizona

orthodoxymoron
    orthodoxymoron

Post  orthodoxymoron Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Thank-you for starting this thread, Carol. I'm a life-long vegetarian - but I don't make a big deal about food. It's never been easier to be a vegetarian. There are so many options, compared with the way it used to be. Four steps to physical and mental health: 1. Don't smoke. 2. Be a vegetarian. 3. Get plenty of exercise. 4. Get plenty of sleep. It doesn't have to be much more complicated than that.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:11 pm

This years Thanksgiving Dinner Menu
    Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes Thanksgiving

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes Thanksgiving-bb

Thanksgiving Dinner

baked butternut squash
    baked yams with sour cream and brown sugar
    green peas
    green salad with tomato, roasted pumpkin seeds (balsamic, olive oil vinaigrette)
    mashed cauliflower mixed with non-fat cream, butter, salt and pepper (instead of mashed potatoes)
    dressing (with walnuts, raisins, apple, onion and celery cooked in butter)
    cranberries (with orange zest and juice)
    pumpkin pudding with whipped cream, candied walnuts
    wine

Sweet Pumpkin Bread
    (Makes 1 loaf)

2 cups flour
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup solid pack pumpkin
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Optional: Cream cheese for spreading

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Grease a loaf pan (approximately 8 x 5 x 3-inches)
    In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
    Set aside.
    Using an electric mixer, combine pumpkin puree, sugar, milk, and eggs.
    Beat in the butter.
    Add the flour mixture until well combined.
    Stir in the nuts.

Spread the batter evenly in the prepared loaf pan.
    Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    Cool for 15-20 minutes on a wire rack.
    Run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the bread.
    Remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool completely.
    To serve, cut

Also a good favorite is dressing.

I like to add celery, onions, apples, raisins, walnuts, fresh thyme, fresh sage, salt and pepper. I cook the veggies seperate and then add to bread dressing. This is served with cranberry sauce or the cooked berries with orange juice.

Here are some more goodies.

Candied Walnuts

1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1-1/4 cups walnut halves

Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Set aside.
    Combine both sugars and sour cream in a small saucepan.
    Cook over medium-high heat, stirring until it comes to a boil.
    Use a candy thermometer to bring the mixture to 240 degrees F.
    Stir in salt and vanilla.
    Pour hot mixture over walnuts in a bowl.
    Mix until walnuts are evenly coated.
    Spoon the walnuts onto the prepared baking sheet, separating them as much as possible.
    Allow to cool and then refrigerate a few minutes to harden.
    Break them apart and store in a covered container.

Pumpkin Pudding
    Ingredients

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
    2 large eggs (with high omega-3 content, as noted on label)
    1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
    1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk or
    Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk

Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Lightly grease 11 x 7-inch baking dish. COMBINE sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into prepared baking dish. BAKE for 40 minutes or until center is slightly wiggly. Do not overbake. Let cool on wire rack. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Pratt's Super Foods:

1. Beans: A great low-fat, low-calorie source of protein and an easy way to help control your weight and your blood sugar.
    2. Blueberries: The best food on the planet to preserve a young brain as we mature.
    3. Broccoli: The best food on the planet to prevent cancer.
    4. Oats: A sure-fire way to lower your cholesterol.
    5. Oranges: The most readily available source of vitamin C, which in turn lowers the rate of most causes of death in this country, for example, heart disease and cancer.
    6. Pumpkin: Loaded with phytonutrients, which keep our skin young and help prevent damage from sunlight.
    7. Wild salmon: A guaranteed way to lower your risk for cardiac-related death.
    8. Soy: The only complete vegetarian source of protein.
    9. Spinach: The best food on the planet to prevent cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, thus ensuring a lifetime of good vision.
    10. Tea -- green or black: The easiest and cheapest no-calorie way to avoid heart disease and cancer.
    11. Tomatoes: One of the easiest ways for men to avoid prostate cancer is the consumption of tomatoes and tomato-based products.
    12. Skinless turkey breast: The leanest meat source of protein on the planet.
    13. Walnuts: Consuming walnuts is an easy, tasty way to lower your risk of cardiovascular disease.
    14. Yogurt: A tasty, easy way to boost your immune system.

http://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/general-chat/13413-steven-pratt-md-super-foods.html

devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Thank you Carol for being there always and spoiling us in the mists on every event.
    Happy ‘family get together holiday’ to you, to all in the mists, to those who will have day off and who will not…

I think the origins of the holiday in US are truly related to the end of autumn, end of year’s harvest gathering works, readiness for winter long nights and short days and sure the gratitude, gratitude, gratitude.

I am also vegetarian and more because of morals than health reasons. I do not think that it is ok to say Happy (killed) turkey day… 

Vibrant Apple Beet Salad sounds very interesting and I took a note already. Especially that beets, apples are most alkaline foods. This is great recipe, Carol!

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm
    This list is the best online, summarizing the importance of alkaline food, especially when in US all foods are mostly acidic. Make sure to do some research about the another hidden issue americans are not aware of.

Yesterday I did cranberries + sugar, bought tofurkey and I was asked to make pesto that all love. Basil Pesto on dark bread is really something…

Basil Pesto

Ingredients:
    1 cup cashews nuts
    3-4 cloves garlic
    3 Tablespoons water
    2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 cup fresh basil, chopped
    a dash of sea salt and black pepper
    Directions
    In a food processor, blend all ingredients well
    Serve with your favorite pasta or use as a spread on breads.

I read Ortho’s 4 rules and i like them wow, and here are mine I love you 4 rules

- Do not kill, be vegetarian (purify body and mind)
    - Do not gamble ever (don’t try to change your preplanned destiny)
    - Do not intoxicate (purify your body and mind), opposite , we should meditate.
    - No illicit sex (cross love never works)(if we think we are not dogs or hogs pig cat )

Thousand times and thousand years Namaste to all in the mists and you Carol!

Last edited by devakas on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lawlessline
    lawlessline

Post  lawlessline Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Carol,

For a moment I thought you were suggesting we eat dogs and cats. Didn't seem very veggy like.

Like the recipies Ideas. The new herbal medicine. eat yourself well.

cheers

t
    JesterTerrestrial
    JesterTerrestrial

Post  JesterTerrestrial Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 pm

i just made these with some organic lemons and flour!!!

When life gives you lemons!!! Make lemon squares!!!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/lemon-squares-recipe

Magic!!! cheers
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:42 pm

Thank you. I love sharing recipes.

Just a side note. Today is November 24th and my apple tree is full of apple blossoms. Imagine that?

The orange, lemon, tangerine and avacado trees have fruit on them too. We are very fortunate that these trees are producing and for that I am very, very grateful.

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes 63988
    Home Sweet Home

lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi, Devakas! You said: "I do not think that it is ok to say Happy (killed) turkey day…"

Well, I had never thought of that before! So, thank you, because I won't use that expression again. How could the turkey be happy if he's on the Thanksgiving table?

Cheers! I'm off to make pie And, no Clif jokes, for gawdssakes, I'm sick of that as well, hee hee, and to try Carol's pumpkin bread recipe.

Bon appetit to you, Carol, here's hoping you see this message and you are not wearing yourself out in the kitchen. The rainbow photo is really beautiful. We live in a paradise called Earth. I'd like to keep it that way.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks linda. I took a look at JT's lemon bars and thought they looked yummy too. I'm off to make the pumpkin pudding next. I think I'll use some freshly grated ginger.

Thanks for the recipe JT. And no Tom, we don't eat our pets but we do share dinner with them. Bleh

devaskas... the apple/beet recipe does sound good too, doesn't it.

lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Carol, Do make the lemon bars, or use key limes...the homemade taste is definitely worth the little bit of trouble. I have made this recipe for years as that is my favorite flour brand. Hmm hmmm as they say, never trust a skinny cook!
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:41 pm

lindabaker wrote:Carol, Do make the lemon bars, or use key limes...the homemade taste is definitely worth the little bit of trouble. I have made this recipe for years as that is my favorite flour brand. Hmm hmmm as they say, never trust a skinny cook!

Okay. Pumpkin pudding in the oven for 40 minutes.

Usually lemon bars when I do make it, which is rare. However my husband came in with some nice myers lemons and they looked too good just to sit on the sink. JT's recipe is here just in time.

As for the skinny cook. I bought one of those ab circles and all those extra inches are just melting away.

JT's recipe find.

Lemon Squares

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes 1-R681

Crust
    1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter
    1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) confectioners' sugar

Topping
    2 large eggs
    1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons (1 ounce) lemon juice
    2 tablespoons (1/2 ounce) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    a pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 350°F.

Cut the butter into the flour and confectioners' sugar and press into a 9-inch square pan. Bake 20 minutes or until light brown.

Combine the topping ingredients. When the bottom is done, and still hot, pour the topping over it and continue baking for about 25 minutes.

Sprinkle top with confectioners' sugar.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am