tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

5 posters

Forest Garden

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Forest Garden - Page 2 Empty Re: Forest Garden

Post  Carol Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:19 pm

I had a friend who knew him and had some of his devices as we do as well.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Matthew Collins
    Matthew Collins

Forest Garden - Page 2 Empty about his life

Post  Matthew Collins Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:26 am

it cannot but inspire! Great Carol, you had such a friend! So you can learn more than from books. Great experience !!! Can you tell us something else about his life?
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:05 pm

Egyptian Spinach.

These babies grow up to 6 ft tall, and can be harvested YEAR ROUND (in the warmer areas of the country anyway). They have more vitamins and nutrients than Carrots, Oranges, and Brocolli combined. You can almost live off of these alone. They are big in the middle east because they grow in crap sandy soil and are very hardy.Egyptian spinach has 6-7% protein.

In fact, the more you harvest these, the more they GROW!

https://plantinstructions.com/vegetables/how-to-grow-egyptian-spinach-aka-molokhia/

https://www.ehow.com/how_10075285_grow-molokhia.html

PLANTING EGYPTIAN SPINACH:

1. Sow seeds directly into the ground in the spring after all chance of frost has passed.
    2. You can also start seeds indoors about 6 weeks before the last average frost.
    3. Plan to plant in full sun with fertile, well-draining soil.
    4. Don't plant too close together as molokhia plants grow outwards into a shrub shape so they'll need their space.
    5. Once the plant reaches about 2 feet in height, you can start to harvest by cutting off the top 6 inches or so of growth.
    6. Whatever was cut down, WILL grow back again, so expect more Egyptian spinach!
    7. Water regularly and keep soil moist.

Molokhia (Corchorus olitorius) is a common vegetable in Egypt. Its nickname, in fact, is Egyptian spinach. The leaves are sauteed or used in soups, where it acts as a thickening agent, like it's relative okra. Molokhia grows from 6 to 8 feet in height with few side branches. It requires consistently warm temperatures and lots of humidity to germinate and grow, and is hardy to zone 10 on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Plant Hardiness Zone Map. Sow molokhia seeds in spring in a sunny spot in the garden.

Things You'll Need

Rototiller or shovel

Compost or manure

10-10-10 fertilizer

Step 1

Prepare the soil by tilling it to a depth of 10 inches. Add 3 to 4 inches of compost or rotted manure and blend it into the soil.

Step 2

Sow the molokhia seeds 1/4 inch deep and 2 inches apart. Water the soil carefully to avoid washing away the molokhia seeds and keep the soil moist at all times. Under optimal conditions, the seeds germinate within three days.

Step 3

Thin the seedlings to 10 inches apart when they have their third set of leaves.

Step 4

Fertilize the molokhia seedlings after thinning with a 10-10-10 fertilizer at half the rate suggested by the manufacturer.

Step 5

Pinch 1 inch from the tip of the molokhia plant when it reaches 24 inches tall. This encourages the plant to produce new branches.

Step 6

Harvest the molokhia leaves as you need them by pinching them off the branches.

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sun May 10, 2020 5:19 am

What's in your salad?

Click on this link:
    https://www.thinglink.com/scene/536181539210264576

and you can hover your mouse over the plants for their common /scientific names..

Forest Garden - Page 2 Tmp53610
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Thu May 14, 2020 6:06 am

Perennials are the basis of the forest garden (and no-dig gardens).

I have been compiling a list of perennials for a while now, and have finished the task at 125 species. At the moment its just a list, common name, latin name and type of plant. I havent included the obvious fruit trees. but there are reference to a few uncommon trees that are also food sources.

I cant find an easy way to create the list in here. the formatting is wiped during any cut and paste, so I will attach my excel spreadsheet.. kinda interesting to see how few folk are actually interested in downloading such stuff.. but it's a good web based storage if nothing else :)
    Attachments
    Forest Garden - Page 2 Attachmentperennial list.xlsx
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (16 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Thu May 14, 2020 9:57 am

The perennial plants in graphic format, the best I can do for now, my packages always want to crop my data.. its been too long since I played with graphic packages...
    Forest Garden - Page 2 Test11
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Sat May 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Vidya... you're going to love this one.

Forest Garden - Page 2 Maxresdefault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3_nLqFsAIQ
    Build Technologically Modern Forest Houses with Garden and Swimming Pool
    All he used was a machete, a large pot and basket... bamboo, vines, dirt, sand, rocks and animal poop.

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Mon May 18, 2020 6:47 am

Carol wrote:Vidya... you're going to love this one.
    Nice one. And at last, a proper use of video.. Wink
    Life can be simple eh? It all comes down to firewood and freshwater. You have those.. you can make the rest up Wink

So here's an extreme opposite. A Russian guy is obviously a mechanic, and a good one. He trips out to the wilderness for a month or so every year. But he's tooled up. Makes a log cabin, builds a water wheel for power.. All by himself with kit he carried in. His video collection is worth a look.

I like his chainsaw milling technique, that is a game changer. You can mill with a big chainsaw and just buy / grind a cutting chain for ripping, its needs far fewer teeth at a different pitch.. but his way you can use a standard saw and string..

Chainsaws... man! I long for a time when i can play with large trees and timbers by hand.. but you cant mill dry wood by hand.. (you can split green wood, whatever its size).. and its so expensive to buy / ship.. much cheaper to make your own on site, but man! chainsaws!
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue May 19, 2020 5:08 am

Thanks for that perrennial list Vidhya.
    It happened to be very convenient to find an instant answer regarding peas I had Flowers

Well invested time Thubs Up

And Carol thats a little piece of paradise you posted it seems.
    Quite nice Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 am

Just a quick shout out for a wonderful resource I have just come across, the low tech magazine.. great source of info

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/

worth a look for sure..

We have like / dislike buttons now.. what's that? a shout out to be like facebook? oh dear.. Rolling Eyes

Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:51 pm

I have no idea where those like or dislike buttons came from and hope folks will just ignore them.

Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:54 pm

https://foodplantsinternational.com/

Welcome to the Food Plants International web site. Here you will find the world’s largest database of edible food plants, containing useful information on over 30,000 food plants. Food Plants International (FPI) is a Christian not-for-profit organisation that aims to provide information about edible plants with the objective of Helping the Hungry Feed Themselves Through Strategic Use of God’s Amazing Natural Resources. (See an article on faith and agriculture called God’s Resources under the tab Articles and Books.)

Some 3 billion people in the world live outside the cash economy in the world’s poorest nations. Food security and regular supply are their daily concerns. Chronic malnutrition is a leading cause of death and disease for them. Young children are amongst the most affected. One child every 5-10 seconds dies from undernutrition. Vitamin A deficiency causes night blindness for someone every minute. Most people in tropical and subtropical countries are iron deficient.
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Gardening hacks..

This guy ^ has some nice ideas... and such a tidy garden Wink He misses the biggest hack. NO dig. cut and drop plants that you dont want or need to cut down. planting through cardboard is effective for weed control. Dont walk on the planting beds. let the soil generate its own connections and pathways.. leave it undisturbed. Mulch on top, the worms will take the compost into the soil. Perennials..perennials..
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm

Lunar Calendar. This is the text for a circular lunar gardening guide, which I am making..slowly..
    first day of the lunar calendar is the new moon Day 0. I will upload the finished version, its easier to visualise it than describe it.  

Forest Garden - Page 2 Lunar_10

Forest Garden - Page 2 Lunar_11

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am