tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Thich Nhat Han

mudra
    mudra

Thich Nhat Han Empty Thich Nhat Han

Post  mudra Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Thich Nhat Han Thich_Nhat_Hanh_12_(cropped)

Thich Nhat Hanh (1926-2014) died at his monastery in Plum Village , Dordogne, France . It was a great Zen master , an icon and a reader of " socially engaged Buddhism ", in fact , it was he who coined the term. He has written numerous inspirational books , was a poet and activist unforgettable .

Thich Nhat Hanh - The Fear of Death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54aRrJWl_PI

You'll remain forever in my Heart Thich Nhat Han
    Thank you for the beautifull and peaceful light you shared with this world.

The Karen

With Love for You

mudra

Last edited by mudra on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mudra
    mudra

Thich Nhat Han Empty Re: Thich Nhat Han

Post  mudra Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:15 pm

Peace is Every Step: Meditation In Action - Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyWD7y84ms

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:36 pm

My apologies. I just found out the information above has'nt been confirmed.
    Thich Nhat Han is ill and is being taken care of at the hospital at the moment.
    May he recover and stay with us a little longer.

Love Always
    mudra
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Thich Nhat Han Thay-210
    Thay enjoying the fragrance of a lotus flower, 16 June, 2015 He lives in Plum Village

Thich Nhat Hanh lives on: http://plumvillage.org/news/an-update-on-thays-health-8th-september-2015/

"Thay has received training from three different speech therapists over the last two months, one of whom was able to help
    Thay speak his first words since the stroke. It was a legendary day. We are happy to be able to share his very first words:

In, out (several times)
    Happy (several times)
    Thank you (several times)

and “Vui quá” (meaning, “So happy,” in Vietnamese)

It was like a guided meditation. Everyone was crying and laughing at the same time, including Thay."

"Nine years ago Thay was asked “You will be 80 this year. Do you plan to retire as a spiritual teacher at any point?”

This is the answer he gave:

In Buddhism we see that teaching is done not only by talking, but also by living your own life.
    Your life is the teaching, is the message.
    And since I continue to sit, to walk, to eat, to interact with the Sangha and people,
    I continue to teach, even if I have already encouraged my senior students to begin to replace me in giving Dharma talks.
    In the last two years, I have asked Dharma teachers, not only in the monastic circle but also in the lay circle,
    to come up and give Dharma talks.
    Many of them have given wonderful Dharma talks.
    Some Dharma talks have been better than mine.
    I see myself in my continuation, and I will not retire.
    I’ll continue to teach, if not by Dharma talks then in my way of sitting, eating, smiling, and interacting with the Sangha.
    I like to be with the Sangha.
    Even if I don’t give a Dharma talk, I like to join walking meditation, sitting meditation, eating in mindfulness and so on.
    So don’t worry.
    When people are exposed to the practice, they are inspired.
    You don’t need to talk in order to teach.
    You need to live your life mindfully and deeply.
    Thank you.
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:06 pm

UNDERSTANDING BRINGS LIBERATION
    From the book "Living Buddha living Christ", by Thich Nhat Hahn

In Latin America, liberation theologians speak of God’s preference, or “option,” for the poor, the oppressed, and the marginalized.
    But I do not think God wants us to take sides, even with the poor. The rich also suffer, in many cases more than the poor!
    They may be rich materially, but many are poor spiritually, and they suffer a lot.
    I have known rich and famous people who have ended up committing suicide.
    I am certain that those with the highest understanding will be able to see the suffering in both the poor and the rich.
    God embraces both rich and poor, and He wants them to understand each other, to share with each other their suffering and their happiness, and to work together for peace and social justice. We do not need to take sides.
    When we take sides, we misunderstand the will of God.
    I know it will be possible for some people to use these words to prolong social injustice,
    but that is an abuse of what I am saying.

We have to find the real causes for social injustice, and when we do, we will not condemn a certain type of people.
    We will ask "Why has the situation of these people remained like that?"
    All of us have the power of love and understanding.
    They are our best weapons.
    Any dualistic response, any response motivated by anger, will only make the situation worse.
    When we practice looking deeply, we have the insight into what to do and what not to do for the situation to change.
    Everything depends on our way of looking.
    The existence of suffering is the First Noble Truth taught by the Buddha, and the causes of suffering are the second.
    When we look deeply at the First Truth, we discover the second.
    After seeing the Second Truth, we see the next truth, which is the way of liberation.
    Everything depends on our understanding of the whole situation.
    Once we understand, our life style will change accordingly and our actions will never help the oppressors strengthen their stand.
    Looking deeply does not mean being inactive.
    We become very active with our understanding.
    Nonviolence does not mean nonaction.
    Nonviolence means we act with love and compassion.

B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1o1TDuXf-8

Here's a man who is fully present in his words, it's moving me to tears.
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:35 am

Cindy Cauble

02:17

Thay is still with us at 89. He was just given a peace award by the Catholic Church a few days ago. 

"Buddhist Monk Thich Nhat Hanh Receives Catholic “Peace on Earth” Award"

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would be next recipient of the annual award, and surprisingly, both he and Thich Nhat Hanh shared a common tie – Thích Nhất Hạnh met with King the following year, asking him to condemn the Vietnam War which was ravaging the monk's homeland, and the African-American rights leader was only happy to oblige in 1967. That year, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. nominated Thích Nhất Hạnh for the Nobel Peace Prize, although his public statement that he had nominated the Buddhist monk was in violation of norms and no award was bestowed
    that year. In commemoration of their historic relationship, a contingent of 120 Buddhist monks will receive the honor on behalf of their 'Thay' (meaning 'Master' or 'Teacher') on October 31, the same day Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was selected for the award. Having suffered a stroke earlier, the 89-year-old Zen master is not physically well enough to make the trip to Davenport, as previous recipients of the award have done, and so Bishop Martin John Amos of the Diocese of Davenport will travel to the 400-acre Deer Park Monastery in California, which was established by Thích Nhất Hạnh in 2000, to present the award.

Read more at World Religion News:  http://www.worldreligionnews.com/?p=19907
    B.B.Baghor
    B.B.Baghor

Post  B.B.Baghor Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:32 am

Thich Nhat Han Illusi10
    The illusion of separatness

4 new documentaries on Thay and Plum Village:
    http://plumvillage.org/news/new-documentary-on-thay-and-plum-village/

Thich Nhat Hanh on the Interdependence of All Things in the Universe
    April 1, 2016 by Dane Arr

http://prepareforchange.net/2016/04/01/thich-nhat-hanh-on-the-interdependence-of-all-things-in-the-universe/

THE ISLAND OF SELF THE THREE DHARMA SEALS

A lecture by Thich Nhat Han July 28th 1998:(for the complete lecture see the link at the bottom)

(quote)
    "We know that meditation means to stop, to be there, to be calmer, to be more concentrated, so that you can look deeply into what is there in the here and the now. You can see deeply into the true nature of reality. The insight you get will liberate you from your fear, your suffering. Looking deeply is the phrase we use to translate vipashyana, translated sometimes as "insight meditation." You practice into order to get insight into the true nature of reality. That practice can be described simply as the practice of looking deeply. But how to look deeply? Do you have to use your thinking? Or do you have to refrain from thinking in order to really practice looking deeply?

You have to touch your nature to know who you truly are. In the beginning we have talked about the wave, and the water. We know that a wave can live her life as a wave, but she can also live her life as water at the same time. It would be a pity if a wave did not know that she is water. To be a wave is wonderful, but to be a non-wave is also wonderful. I have asked the children to draw a wave, and after that to draw water for me. Water can be a wave, but water can be a non-wave, and water can be very, very still, to the point that she can reflect the blue sky and the clouds and the trees perfectly. We can enjoy being a wave, but we can enjoy just being still water. Where can we find that stillness? Does it exist in the wave?

Yes, because you cannot take the wave out of the water, and therefore, touching the wave deeply, you touch the water in within it, and you know that if you can touch the water, you can touch the capacity of being still. No one denies the fact that water can be still. So the capacity of being still, the capacity of reflecting things as they are, you know that is in the water. The Buddha nature, the capacity of understanding, of loving, of being non-fear, of being liberated, we have it deep within ourselves. So once we have touched that true nature within ourselves, we can transcend all kinds of fear.
    We know that being a wave is wonderful, but being a non-wave is also beautiful.

I want to live, yes that is the truth, but who forbids you to live? If you don't live in this form, then you will live in another form. When the time comes for the cloud to become rain, if the cloud is wise, the cloud will not be upset, or be scared, because the cloud knows that being a cloud floating in the sky is wonderful, but being the rain falling on the ocean, on the mountain, on the field, is also wonderful. When you have touched that nature of no-birth and no-death in you, you can remove your fear, you can remove your anguish, your suffering. The ultimate purpose of Buddhist meditation is to touch your true nature of no-birth and no-death. That true nature is sometimes called nirvana".(end of quote)

Source: http://www.purifymind.com/IslandSelf.htm
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 am

mudra wrote:
    My apologies. I just found out the information above has'nt been confirmed.
    Thich Nhat Han is ill and is being taken care of at the hospital at the moment.
    May he recover and stay with us a little longer.

Love Always
    mudra

He died last night.

mudra likes this post

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am