tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

3 posters

Harvesting rainwater

mudra
    mudra

Harvesting rainwater  Empty Harvesting rainwater

Post  mudra Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:37 am

April 2nd, 2010
    Harvesting Rainwater

an interview with Brad Lancaster

http://www.futureprimitive.org/2010/04/harvesting-rainwater/

Brad Lancaster is a dynamic teacher, consultant, and designer of regenerative systems. He is the author of the award-winning, best-selling books Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond, the information-packed website HarvestingRainwater.com, and the Drops in a Bucket Blog. He lives his talk on an oasis-like eight of an acre in dowtown Tucson, Arizona, by harvesting over 100,000 gallons of rainwater a year where just 12 inches per year falls from the sky.

Brad speaks with Joanna about all the aspects of rain harvesting: “planting the rain” – a concept learned from an African farmer, how to begin, the social effects of rainharvesting…
    http://www.harvestingrainwater.com

Listen to podcast here : http://www.futureprimitive.org/?powerpress_pinw=501-podcast

Love Always
    mudra
    Anonymous

Harvesting rainwater  Empty Re: Harvesting rainwater

Post  Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:46 pm

We've got some water catchment tanks around the house, and it's fabulous. Two tanks go to the toilets, soon to have washingmachine added. Others are used for garden, citrus trees, compost bins. Our plumber is really into it, and so set it all up pretty easily. And it was not very costly.

I think it's even more important out in drier areas. Some relatives over in Australia have had rain tanks for years and carefully use every drop.

Water awareness seems to be growing hourly, doesn't it, Mudra. Too much, too little, too dirty, or.......................pure and clean and good memory.

Love,
    Bushycat
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:26 am

Just a reminder...if you drink harvested rain water then make sure you hang a bag of granite dust (in a rot-free bag) inside the storage tank. Rainwater is not complete with all the minerals it needs and it will strip your body of these minerals if you drink it.. as all readers of Viktor Schauberger will know :)
    The granite dust will ensure a full mineral compliment
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:18 am

Thank you for that precious tip Lerroco Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks, Lerroco. And this will help purify the water. That is one reason we don't have any rain water hooked up for showers yet- it requires good filtering.

Aloha,
    Bushycat
    Vidya Moksha
    Vidya Moksha

Post  Vidya Moksha Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:37 am

Kia Ora Bushycat
    next stage might be not to use water in the toilets? :) I have used compost toilets for over 15 years now, with no problem or smell. Secret? use wood ash to cover, eliminates all smell and introduces potassium.

I love designing compost toilets, perhaps I should call in and say hello and design you one when i head up to the north island in a few months en route to the airport :)
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Well, probably that will be the loo of the future for everyone. Water is more precious every minute. Always was, but now we are awakening.
    Thanks for offer to share your knowledge if our paths can cross.

Aloha,
    Bushycat
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:49 am

Vidya, I'm so impressed. I had a vague memory that woodash was the best top cover. Thanks for the tip.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am