I knew I had an article somewhere on the devas on my garden thread.
I found it .
Here it is for you Sanicle.
Thank you for your beautifull thread .
It is wonderfull to hear about your connection to nature's spirits.My Work with Nature Spirits (Devas)
A documentary note of work in progress
Oliver W. Markley
Ver 2.0, February 3, 2003
Please note: If you are not familiar with the idea of nature spirits (“devas”), I strongly suggest that before reading this note you read “Excerpts from To Speak with Angels ”—a tight summary and compilation of what I found most pivotal in Dorothy Maclean’s (1980) autobiography telling the story of why and how she learned to communicate with the plant spirits (which she came to call Devas ) at the Findhorn Gardens in Scotland. Her full book title is: To Hear the Angels Sing: An Odyssey of Co-Creation with the Devic Kingdom.
Part One: Introduction
This is an unusual story. One dealing with nature spirits (“devas”) and their capacity to help human concerns—phenomena that are part of the mythologies of most traditional cultures, but which are dismissed by modern day scientists as “mere” superstition, even though considerable evidence exists that they can be real. Just as with the healing power of prayer, unimpeachable evidence of which now exists, even though it is still considered superstition by many who consider themselves “scientific.”
By way of beginning, I suppose this story should commence with a remarkable experience that happened, as a retired professor now living on the Hawaiian “garden island” of Kauai, when I was fortunate to find a lovely retreat “hermitage” cottage in a region of high intensity spiritual energy—the Kapahi district surrounded by Kahuna Road, immediately below the sacred mountain of Makaleha. To get to the cottage, I had to drive by a nursery called “Growing Greens”—a place that totally got my attention because, before even getting within sight of the nursery, I could always discern a very large and intense energy surrounding the nursery—an energy that I could only associate with the type of nature spirits called plant devas by the people at Findhorn Gardens in North Scotland. (More will be said about the Plant Devas at Findhorn later on.)
At first I didn’t give this energy any particular notice, other than to make a mental note to visit the nursery soon, so as to see what is happening there. But something else happened first. Something that totally got my attention, and made it imperative that I connect with the nursery for more than a cursory visit.
An extraordinary phenomenon
What happened is this: I had recently bought a cell phone from a company that advertised having good coverage over most of the entire island of Kauai. But my cottage seemed to be in something of a shadow from the nearest transmitting antenna, such that using the cell phone at home was very marginal. One day, however, after a long and intense period of meditation, I noticed that when I picked up the phone to use it, the signal strength went up, and when I finished talking, it went down. Struck by this seeming coincidence, I put the phone down, and as I was walking away from the front window across the room to get a drink of water, I was struck by a totally unanticipated thought: “I bet the fairies opened a pathway for the cell phone signal from the antenna tower to me, ” and just as I had this thought, it was as though the back of my head opened up; I heard the titter of tiny giggling voices; and as I did so, I felt an electric tingling go from the top of my head down my entire back to my buttocks!
Wow! Was I impressed! Especially when I became aware that I hadn’t even thought of the word “fairies” for months if not years. But out of nowhere, just at the right time, I thought of this word in connection with the phenomenon that had occurred. And in a way that made sense. So I had to take the event seriously enough to pay attention and see if it happened again.
It did. Not only once, but many times over. In fact, it became an absolutely predictable sequence: when I picked up the cell phone to talk, the signal strength went up, sometimes even by “two bars” on the screen of the unit, and even when the weather outside was storming. And when I put it down, the signal strength also usually went down, but sometimes fast, sometimes slow.
Being of a somewhat scientific turn of mind, even though deeply dedicated to the study of consciousness in ways that frequently transcend the standard paradigm of conventional science, I try to find as many ways to validate “extra-scientific” phenomena (such as “ESP”). So it was especially noteworthy for me when, this “boost” of the signal strength suddenly vanished in the middle of an experience that conclusively demonstrated to me the validity of my hypothetical view about all this.
What happened is this: As part of my Inward Bound visioning work, I had occasion to use my cell phone to coach a student on the mainland in the use of Virtual Time Travel. (This is a process in which you alter your normal state of consciousness in a specific way that enables entry into and exploration of what may be called “probable realities,” especially probable and/or “preferable” futures.) Having already taught the student how to do this, I was now coaching her in how to teach others to do it, and she was using me as her guinea pig. Precisely at the instant that she had me shift my consciousness from conventional reality into the specific alternate probable reality she was instructing me to explore within “the theatre of my mind,” the signal strength of my cell phone went down so far that we had to break off the experiment, and continue the coaching conversation with me having returned to a conventional state of consciousness. Evidently the faeries couldn’t sustain their connection with me and my phone once I had entered the altered state of consciousness .
So it was that I found myself having no remaining doubts as to the validity of this phenomenon. Moreover, the fairies didn’t just help with making the phone work at my cottage. They also opened my attention to other things, such as the following.
A “Call” from the Nature Spirits
I mentioned above that when driving by the Growing Greens nursery, I was frequently struck by the energetic power of the place which I assumed came from nature spirits associated with the growth process of plants. Some weeks after the cell phone assistance began, these nature spirits began to call out to me at my retreat cottage, suggesting that I come to work at the nursery and with them. This was not a verbal request, but rather something that I strongly intuited, and not once, but many times across a week or so. So, after considering this intuitive request, I mentally “replied” that I had already expressed an interest in working at the nursery part time, but had heard nothing. Moreover, since I was by now well into a set of spiritual practices that seemed to be productive, I asked why I should do anything additional dealing with the spirit world?
But the plant spirits essentially insisted, essentially “saying” (but still by means of a non-verbal intuitive feeling/motivation) that things are now different…and that I should call NOW! . So I picked up the phone and called Liz Ronaldson, the CEO of the nursery. As unobtrusively as I thought I could get by with, I suggested that I was receiving a spiritual calling to work at the nursery part time, and asking if this would be possible.
Ms. Ronaldson was immediately receptive, and after a trial day or two, I found myself working there part-time, doing such things as fertilizing, repotting and weeding—all of which gave me more than ample time and space to be interact with the plant spirits in whatever ways should unfold.
And thus has begun one of the most significant educational experiences of my life—a new direction of work (and re-creational play!) that appears to have considerable promise as a new approach to healing and wellness, both on the Garden Island and elsewhere on Earth—our “ascension island” in space.
But before describing this new path, however, I should note that a short time before the faeries began boosting the signal strength of my cell phone, a rather different sort of remarkable experience happened for me: at a Advanced Quantum Touch workshop in Spring of 2002, Joan Bihn, a gifted clairvoyant healer who practices on the neighbor island of Maui, had occasion to look deeply within my being, and immediately told me that I have a strong shamanistic side waiting for expression—but that I would need to forego the use of chemical entheogens (including cannabis and alcohol), if it is to emerge freely and without difficulty. Moreover, she said, “If you commit to living this way, I can shift something inside for you that will make this very easy to do.” After due consideration, I agreed. Since that time, my mind has never been clearer. And the pace and depth of my spiritual evolution has never been more rapid. This interaction and the changed life-style which followed was clearly a major trigger point in my life, for which I am most grateful—especially coming as it did on the heels of a recent divorce from a marriage that left me financially bankrupt, but psycho-spiritually awakened.
Part II: The Work Begins
I initially had little or no guidance as to how to interact with the plant spirits, or what to do. I only knew what I had read in such books as The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird (1989 ). Or about how plants are sensitive to human thoughts, which can be shown by hooking a plant up to a lie detector. And, last but certainly not least, I knew that the previously mentioned group at Findhorn Gardens in Scotland had purportedly obtained miraculous guidance from plant spirits on how to grow a garden more effectively.
With the latter in mind, and not knowing what else to do, I selected an experiment at the nursery through which to focus my attempts to communicate with the world of plant spirits: to accelerate the growth rate of Mondo Grass – a very slow growing ground cover favored by many landscape architects. I began by asking for and receiving permission from the plant spirits to undertake this experiment, and then spent some weeks, dutifully keeping a journal, with an entry for each of the times I spent in meditation, or consciously sending energy to the Mondo plants.
For the first few weeks, nothing else of much note happened as a result of my working at the nursery—other than experiencing a rich blessing from working in the spiritually charged atmosphere there. As part of my experiment, I did get some humbling “guidance” that seemed to come from the spirit world: “Don’t try to foster faster growth by meditatively focusing on the plant spirits that seem to be overhead, focus downward, in the earth. Plants are Earth-based. Their roots are in the soil, not the sky.”
Soon, other things took precedence over my Mondo Grass experiment. Outside of the nursery, my meditative work was centering strongly on various aspects of what can be called “ascension.” And it was becoming clear that the plant spirits were much more interested in this work than in my Mondo Grass experiment.
Also, because the cottage where I was living became needed by my landlord for other purposes, I found myself packing up to move…when lo and behold, on my bookshelves I found a book that I had at one time planned to read; hadn’t gotten to it; and by now had forgotten that I even owned it. But once again seeing it, I knew that here was precisely the guidebook I now needed for my emerging spirit work at the nursery .
What was the book? Dorothy Maclean’s (1980) autobiography telling the story of why and how she learned to communicate with the plant spirits (which she came to call Devas ) at the Findhorn Gardens in Scotland: To Hear the Angels Sing: An Odyssey of Co-Creation with the Devic Kingdom.
The book was a Godsend, and I immediately devoured it, yellow-marking a number of passages that formed the basis for “Excerpts from To Speak with Angels, ” mentioned at the beginning of this set of notes.
Thus ends Version 1.0. Items covered in versions 1.0 to 1.5:
• The most important things I learned from Maclean’s book (e.g., letting the plant spirits lead, even in what I should be asking about, rather than me taking charge and asking for their assistance (as I initially did with the Mondo Grass experiment—a project that by now was lying dormant for lack of interest from either me or the spirits).
• My work outside the nursery with psycho-spiritual ascension, and how this connected with the nature spirits
• How it was that I discovered that the intention of the plant spirits seemed be about how they could help with the healing of human suffering, and about my “Mondo Grass experiment” being a creature of my own devising when I didn’t yet know what else to do; not what the spirits had called me there to do.
• The idea of creating an experimental “healing circle” where this type of work could be done in the rain forest immediately next to the nursery, and the ecstatic celebration of the plant spirits when Liz Ronaldson agreed with me that it would be a neat idea to do this.
• How I initially thought of patients in hospital rooms, and the idea of “prayer plants” as an entrepreneurial product line; and how, when I checked in with the plant spirits for guidance on this, they suggested working with prisons instead—beginning with the Kauai County Jail, as soon as possible.
• The necessity of taking short (~ 5 minute) “spirit writing” breaks, every hour or so when working at the nursery, and some illustrations of the results thereby. For example:
• Monday, Nov. 4, 10:40 a.m . Welcome, my son, I bid you greetings. I am PAN, the God of growing green things. There is much, much to learn about the world of the faerie folk (as you would call it) that would be helpful for you to learn. This is a good start. Begin by continuing what you are doing, and follow, don’t try to lead. You are learning to do this by doing what we suggest, including this min-morning break for writing. That’s enough for now. 5 minutes are up. You may return. (I say, “Thank you!” with gratitude in my heart, but then, see that the emotionality of my gratitude feelings are largely irrelevant to PAN—different vibrational domains. Appreciation with obedience when working in his realm, on the other hand, is most relevant. )
• Monday, November 4, 2002, 1:17 p.m. in the fern area of the nursery (where, by assignment from the nature spirits, I had gone to receive whatever they had to say to me): Greetings! I am who you could call the Fern Deva. Ferns are a delicate life form and toughen up only when getting root-bound. Try an experiment. Give more root space than “needed” and sell before root-boundedness occurs. See the difference in the apparent vitality of the plant—in the “feel” of the plant. This is ultra important for “prayer plants.” Less so for merely “look good” plants. That’s all—enough for your 5 minute transmission. (1:22 p.m.)
• Monday, November 4, 2002, 2:45 p.m. Northeast corner of the Nursery, overlooking the tables of bedding “plantlets” that are now bursting forth with highly energetic new growth: So—now you have it. A plethora of views and voices now/becoming available to you from the world of plant spirits, faeries, devas, angels, et al. Even visiting ETs if you are so disposed—and we get that you are increasingly in/disposed to such [this after a brief difficulty with “dark side” interference, which actually became much more of a difficulty in subsequent weeks, but about which I prefer not to include in these excerpts at present]. At this juncture, we would like your questions. So—please make a list of 3 to 5 such, to pose at our next session or soon thereafter. That’s all. “Us” (2:49 p.m.)
• Tuesday, November 10, 12:38 p.m . Here are my questions:
• Do you want me to invite others to participate in this exercise? [As I write this in my journal, ready to ask for answers, I get how foolish it is to ask this in light of what they said earlier…direction will appear when it is time. So I don’t even pose the question to them.]
• Who is it that I generally “get” in these transmissions? Deva or what?
• Why me?
I am the oversoul of all plant devas. My taproot is the One Without a Second [the term for Ultimate Beingness used in Advaita (“non-dual”) Vedanta]. You forget (in addressing us) Who you are yourself: Your taproot in God; and your new “Path of Ascendance” which is at the core / heart of our work with you and you with us. The healing that we are most profoundly about with humans deals with/is about this ascendance possibility…making it a reality. Its kind of like putting Sri Aurobindo’s Supramental Sacramentalization of the Flesh on its head. (Sometime you will grok what this means. Right now, it is beyond you.)
Why you? Because URU. And we love you. You were chosen (designed) for the job. [This in reference to recent insights I have been getting about how my genetic “hard wiring” may be a bit unusual by human standards]. And yes—your recent dreams are indeed prophetic. (12:45 p.m. )
[These dreams were:
• Finding myself working as a consultant to some foundation or discrete funding source:
• helping their staff do their thing more joyously and probably more effectively as well;
• helping to expedite funding for healing plant spirit research and applied demonstration projects;
• Other, as guided by Spirit.
• Being at a meeting run by my former faculty colleague, Dr. Peter Bishop, with a new futures research consulting client he had in tow, at which I rather significantly “hid out” for most of the meeting, but at the last, came out and made an impassioned (and effective) speech about the importance of impact assessment , using natural wisdom sources that are resident in all of us. (My interpretation of this latter dream has more to do with “coming out” in my current work, and less with futures research consulting. But I could be wrong.)]
• Sunday, November 10, 2:37 p.m. No words to write at first, just a visual image, of some sort of “manifestation flow” from pure spirit, which I immediately discerned to be what I somewhat laughingly termed, Veggie Prana [but which, upon reflection, would be much better termed: Plant Prana ].
Then these words: You can divert some of this for your own use. It is an essential ingredient in being a Breatharian— and in the Easy Ascension Path you are working with. (2:39)
Then I breathed the “plant prana” into myself for several moments, to see what it felt like. It immediately flowed into my head and lower back, which is chronically in pain due to the lifting, and the fact that I have for about a decade had this back problem. It eased significantly. (2:41) [Subsequently, I have done this many times, to good advantage.]
• Monday, December 2: 11:00 a.m . “Hello, I am the Bumble Bee Deva—it is time you begin to cross-focus on the insect world-plant world interactions, and on “trans-kingdom” interactions of all sorts. This is the crux of what you are calling (for now, I might add) Easy Ascension.” And in response to an unverbalized thought on my part: “Why me?” (I.e., a bumble bee spirit as the chosen one to bring this message to me.) “Because I/we knew that you would be able to easily see my black body with brilliant yellow rings; and you know that I am not of the ecology of your beloved Kauai; and you know as well of the productive contribution that bees make to human farm and garden ecology and how desperately we are being decimated by witless application of insecticides by humans ! That’s all for your 5 minute break. Thanks for tuning in!”
Me: Thank you. What can I offer you as a return gift?
All of them (i.e., BB plus unidentified others): Your love and attention.
Other relevant items from my journal:
• Tuesday, November 5, at home in bed; 3:10 a.m. —a time at which I often find myself suddenly awake for no apparent reason, but a good time for meditation. “Shavaz here. No, you don’t know me. But I am the deva of virus processes. I was invented as an emergency overflow corrector, by a group who were intent on controlling things for their own ends. My nature is parasitic, and I want you to know that the profit motive is essentially viral in this sense…” (I fell asleep as I was waiting for more, and after reading this in the clear light of day, find myself more than a little bit suspicious about the source. Not documented here are a number of attempts to “horn in” on this game from sources that don’t belong, some of which even led to physical symptoms, in spite of protective “shielding.”)
• Tuesday, November 5, 4 :30 p.m. at a nearby beach, where I went to heal the pain I was feeling resulting from the fact that my housemate, a political consultant and networker, didn’t connect me with a consulting client she had earlier that day, who said that he was writing a book on how to heal with plant spirits and wanted her help learning how to get it published. Without thinking it through, I simply felt hurt that she didn’t mention me and my work to him, and took myself to the ocean to my handle my feelings.
Before even beginning to write these notes in my journal, the plant spirits said, “TRUST IT!! Now Write: You simply aren’t getting the big favors that are set in your lap to wake you up to paths to be avoided. GET IT! … Later, lying in the sun, still feeling bad in spite of seeing the utter sensibility of what they said, I get the idea to ask the plant spirits to help/heal my emotional distress (especially my being really pissed off with myself that I am feeling hurt by this event). They reply: “We thought you would never ask!!” (and I get an image of a Zinnia, then a yellow Sun Flower, then the name: Astor, and see a yellow centered Astor with white petals. “All of flowers that look like the sun are healing energy sources that resemble what they look like. They heal 3 rd chakra energies.” (I grin, realizing that I had earlier that morning chosen to wear a green tee-shirt with a bright yellow sun/face on it, and I can feel the Sun Flower devic spirits healing my chest and belly.) And then the AHAU came in and said: “You don’t have to have the physical plant in front of you. But it helps to visualize the flower. I ask, “And to smell its essence?” They reply, “Yes, but not as important as the visual—if that is your dominant sense. (And in reply to my next thought), “Yes, this could be done by way of pictures and description on the Internet, but this would probably generate too much mental activity, and forgetting about the vibrational gift of the plant.”
• Wednesday, November 24, 10:00 a.m. Walking slowly through the nursery, and coming up to a table of nursling plants being irrigated with an overhead mist, I suddenly become aware of the Water Deva dividing itself into numerous “micro devas,” each facilitating the process of water intake in a specific plant. As I watched, suddenly I knew that I was seeing one answer to an age old riddle about the number of angels in the universe: When done working with an individual plant, the Micro Devas simply merge back in with the parent/core Deva. This seems to be a special case of the way that Dorothy Maclean, in her book , To Hear the Angels Sing, describes angels as being more about flow into various forms and functions as needed than about being fixed, individual entities, as humans expect “things” and “beings” to properly be.
• Sunday, December 1, 2002. I was feeling a bit depressed at the conditions of the world (and the results of the recent elections), and mentally began a gentle search for how to lift these feelings in a way that is appropriate for this particular moment, being cognizant of the possible healing influence of the plant devas at the nursery. Suddenly I got the insight that the nature of mind is devic, and how this function of mind is totally different from “thinking.” Consider, for example, the central importance of the interpenetrating mind/endocrine system/DNA systems in psycho-neuro-immunology, and more generally in helping/guiding the metabolism of the body, the emotions, thoughts, etc. So this is why my work with the plant spirits is so greatly deepening my empathic sensitivity and ability to do precision bio-energetic healing with others, which directly involves these systems. read on: http://www.unfoldingemancipation.org/CoreContent/Gallery/Writings/MyWorkWithNatureSpirits.htm
Love for You