tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+18
devakas
Betsy
Arrowwind
THEeXchanger
burgundia
Lionhawk
ClearWater
Brook
lindabaker
anomalous cowherd
Ladyfreedom
Floyd
Carol
mudra
MargueriteBee
romina
sjkted
Nenuphar
22 posters

Who is planting a garden this year?

Floyd
    Floyd

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  Floyd Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:58 am

The weather is marvelous this april so everything is coming along just fine.
    Tomatoes (2 Kinds)
    Leeks
    peepers
    Lettuce
    Basil
    Chives
    Potatoes
    Onions
    Courgettes
    Strawberries
    The only ones yet to appear are the strawbs

Im making a vegetableumentary video and will post it later this year

How is every body else getting on.. I would be interested to here if any body is growing from their own dried and stored seeds rather than purchased packet seeds
    anomalous cowherd
    anomalous cowherd

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  anomalous cowherd Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I saved my own peeper seeds Shocked

My favourite vegetable is artichokes, and the great thing is, they are perennial, even the jerusalem ones. I'm too tired from gardening to say anything else zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Sleep

Checking out getting a borehole too, tired of paying silly water rates and there will probably be a hose ban after this hot spring.
    Nenuphar
    Nenuphar

Post  Nenuphar Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Floyd wrote:The weather is marvelous this april so everything is coming along just fine.
    Tomatoes (2 Kinds)....Leeks...peepers...Lettuce...Basil...Chives...Potatoes...onions
    Courgettes...Strawberries...
    The only ones yet to appear are the strawbs

Im making a vegetableumentary video and will post it later this year

How is every body else getting on.. I would be interested to here if any body is growing from their own dried and stored seeds rather than purchased packet seeds

Hi Floyd,

Can't wait to see your vegetablementary! bounce

I am growing two kinds of tomatoes (Carbon and Martino Roma), three kinds of peppers (Belgian Red, Hot Hungarian wax, and Chocolate), Beka brown bush beans, pansies, button zinnias, and chamomile all from seeds I have dried and stored for the last 1-3 years (depending on the item).

I have started these indoors, as we can't put anything outside until late May/early June here (zone 2a). The tomatoes and two of the three peppers are coming up well...still waiting for the pansies to sprout. The chamomile, zinnias, and beans I direct sow outside in the summer.
    Very Happy

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:14 am

Sounds good you two. A bore hole. Yes, a self sufficient water supply is a great idea. Just out of curiosity AC are you in town or country and do you do you think this effects any decisions you make?

Nenu-chamomile sounds great. It makes marvelous tea. A great thing to have around.

All of mine started indoors.
    I think I may end up with about 100 tomatoe plants though as I dont like killing the seedlings for thinning. Pathetic isnt it!
    Nenuphar
    Nenuphar

Post  Nenuphar Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Floyd wrote:I think I may end up with about 100 tomatoe plants though as I dont like killing the seedlings for thinning. Pathetic isnt it!

Not at all! At least I don't think so...probably because I feel exactly the same way, and always end up with many more pepper and tomato plants than I could ever find room for. tongue *L* I usually end up offering the extras to friends and neighbours to grow!

I like the idea of growing carrots in shopping bags. I might try that this year. Have you done this? How did it work for you?

Just bookmarked the preparedness site you mentioned, Floyd. What a great resource. I am interested in watching the videos about making a solar oven!

Nenuphar
    Nenuphar

Post  Nenuphar Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Question Is anyone else experimenting with a crop/vegetable that is unusual or new to them?

This year, I'll be trying to grow Australian Butter Squash. It's apparently on the rare side - a large, orange squash with a small seed cavity that need a LOT of room to grow but that stores well through the winter, which is what I am looking for. Description and pic here... http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=1218

I also hope to grow Gaspe Flint corn. It is a short, early ripening flint corn that used to be commonly grown by the MicMacs in Eastern Canada (where I am originally from). It is apparently also a rare seed. I am glad I obtained it when I did, as it now appears to be sold out. (description and picture here: http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/corn.html#gaspe )

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 am

Am going to attempt to plant lemons.
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:49 am

Nenuphar wrote:
    Floyd wrote:I think I may end up with about 100 tomatoe plants though as I dont like killing the seedlings for thinning. Pathetic isnt it!

Not at all! At least I don't think so...probably because I feel exactly the same way, and always end up with many more pepper and tomato plants than I could ever find room for. tongue *L* I usually end up offering the extras to friends and neighbours to grow!

I like the idea of growing carrots in shopping bags. I might try that this year. Have you done this? How did it work for you?

Just bookmarked the preparedness site you mentioned, Floyd. What a great resource. I am interested in watching the videos about making a solar oven!

Hi.
    Yes the idea is to give the surplus away to friends and neighbours or maybe an old peoples home.
    Yes, I will be having acrack at the solar oven..when time allows. Worth it.
    I got the idea of growing in shopping bags from my mum. The carrots did ok. will try this year.
    lindabaker
    lindabaker

Post  lindabaker Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 am

I used seeds saved from last year. I have loads of tomato seedlings now, organic. The original seeds were from seedsavers.org. From just a couple of tomatoes, I got 40 to 50 seeds and every one of them sprouted. It's an easy thing to do...

take a tomato from your harvest, but not the first tomato on the plant

cut it and smear the gel and the seeds on a plain paper plate

allow the seeds to dry NOT IN THE SUN

write the name of the tomato, description, instructions, etc. on the paper plate

it's easier to write on the plate before you put the seeds on, hee hee

let the plate and seeds dry, and store over the winter in a cool dry place.

I used a covered woven basket to hold the seed plates and to keep insects away

pick off the seeds and put in small peat pots for starting, if you wish

the secret is to not plant the seeds too deeply...no further down in the soil than triple the size of the seed

they sprout immediately, so don't do it too early

also, remember to keep your seeds on the plates OUT OF THE SUN even while planting

This year from seed I have

Lemon Balm herb
    yellow crookneck squash
    cilantro
    too many tomato plants, late "Czechoslovakian Bush" which produce until November, and I had one last tomato at Christmas, before our first freeze. Yes, we have an eight month growing season.
    garlic bulbs easy to do: just plant last year's divided cloves and you get whole bulbs like magic, and you can eat the leaves as they are coming up, in stir fry just don't mistake daffodil leaves for garlic, and they look similar and come up at the same time

leaf lettuce green

leaf lettuces mixed red and bronze

My lettuce is ready now...soon it will be too hot to have lettuce, as weather due to be in the 80 F range from now on...

Linda

Last edited by lindabaker on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added tomatoes to list)
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:03 am

Nenuphar wrote:

Actually Nenu I think im going to put the courgettes in the eco shopping bags. they need a fair ammount of space. Maybe a couple of strawberry plants aswell.
    anomalous cowherd
    anomalous cowherd

Post  anomalous cowherd Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:29 am

Straw bale gardening is a good one for people without much usable soil.
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:06 am

I have been starting to grow micro greens and sprouting some seeds on my windowsill .
    I am now eating them everyday .
    Next I'll plant lettuce and various herbs.
    It's a start for me .
    When I have a chance I want to see if I can get anything growing in my little garden too.
    The soil there isn't very good and I don't have too much sun .
    But I would like to give it a try .
    The idea of growing into shopping bags is entirely new to me .
    Can you tell me how one proceeds doing this ?
    Very interesting.

Love from me
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 am

mudra wrote:I have been starting to grow micro greens and sprouting some seeds on my windowsill .
    I am now eating them everyday .
    Next I'll plant lettuce and various herbs.
    It's a start for me .
    When I have a chance I want to see if I can get anything growing in my little garden too.
    The soil there isn't very good and I don't have too much sun .
    But I would like to give it a try .
    The idea of growing into shopping bags is entirely new to me .
    Can you tell me how one proceeds doing this ?
    Very interesting.

Love from me
    mudra

Hi Mudras Mudras

Get a few of those reuasable eco supermarket bags like the one a pictured on this thread. They are great as they are porous, quite deep and you can add extra holes in the bottom.

Plant your seedlings in trays, when the grow a bit transfer them into pots. Once they get to big for the pots, fill your eco shopping bag full of compost and transfer the plants into the bag watering as required. Carrots and other deep roots are good for this so you can thin them accordingly. Im trying courgettes in mine as they are quite big and should grow nicely in the bags. Even tomato plants should do well. You can move them about your garden aswell plus they look pretty cool!
    Hope this helps
    Floyd
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:35 am

Floyd wrote:

Hi Mudras Mudras

Get a few of those reuasable eco supermarket bags like the one a pictured on this thread. They are great as they are porous, quite deep and you can add extra holes in the bottom.

Plant your seedlings in trays, when the grow a bit transfer them into pots. Once they get to big for the pots, fill your eco shopping bag full of compost and transfer the plants into the bag watering as required. Carrots and other deep roots are good for this so you can thin them accordingly. Im trying courgettes in mine as they are quite big and should grow nicely in the bags. Even tomato plants should do well. You can move them about your garden aswell plus they look pretty cool!
    Hope this helps
    Floyd

Thank You Floyd

Hugs

The Karen

Love for You
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 am

No sweat mudras. I will put a few photos or a vid up here for you when I transfer the courgettes to the shoppong bag.
    Anonymous

Post  Guest Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 am

thought this site might be of interest
    http://www.realseeds.co.uk/about.html
    Its a seed company that actively encourages its customers to collect there own seed with lots of usefull
    info on how best to go about it Very Happy

"Seed You Can Save Yourself

One of the main aims of the company - written into its deeds - is to educate and encourage home seed saving. All our varieties are real, open-pollinated seed (non-hybrid), so you can save your own seed for the future, using instructions we supply. We have written freely-copyable seed-saving guides, and we sell a more detailed seed-saving book at a subsidised price. There’s really no need to buy new seed every year - you can just save your own."
    happy gardening

silver*

Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Thu May 05, 2011 11:16 am

silver* wrote:thought this site might be of interest
    http://www.realseeds.co.uk/about.html
    Its a seed company that actively encourages its customers to collect there own seed with lots of usefull
    info on how best to go about it Very Happy

"Seed You Can Save Yourself

One of the main aims of the company - written into its deeds - is to educate and encourage home seed saving. All our varieties are real, open-pollinated seed (non-hybrid), so you can save your own seed for the future, using instructions we supply. We have written freely-copyable seed-saving guides, and we sell a more detailed seed-saving book at a subsidised price. There’s really no need to buy new seed every year - you can just save your own."
    happy gardening

silver*

Thanks Silver* Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 2 425557
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu May 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi Floyd.. how long until your forum is open? I see that it is locked now. :~)

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Thu May 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Carol wrote:Hi Floyd.. how long until your forum is open? I see that it is locked now. :~)

Hi carol..Come and join the fun..its open
    All are welcome fom all forums

http://www.floydsforum.com/the-forum.html

Lookin forward to seein your garden!
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Sun May 15, 2011 6:01 pm

Nenuphar wrote:

Ok nenu and Mudra..this ones for you. Owing to the limitations of city life, this is my attempt to grow vegetables on a balcony,
    Specifically, this is growing a courgette in an eco shopping bag. I hope you have a sense of humour as you may need it watching this.
    Anyway..here is me putting a courgette plant into a shopping bag..enjoy and I hope you find it useful...
    Oooyeah 1
    Link is below
    Cheers
    Floyd
    http://www.floydsforum.com/
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sun May 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Floyd wrote:
    Ok nenu and Mudra..this ones for you. Owing to the limitations of city life, this is my attempt to grow vegetables on a balcony,
    Specifically, this is growing a courgette in an eco shopping bag. I hope you have a sense of humour as you may need it watching this.
    Anyway..here is me putting a courgette plant into a shopping bag..enjoy and I hope you find it useful...
    Oooyeah 1
    Link is below
    Cheers
    Floyd
    http://www.floydsforum.com/

Ooooh ... great Thubs Up
    This really is gone get me going in growing these vegies.
    That green house looks good too .Tell us more about it ?
    Thanks Floyd sunny

Hugs

Love from me
    mudra
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Mon May 16, 2011 3:23 am

Mudra, you can get one of these things for around 12 euros from a discount hardware store. Its easy to assemble and even a one armed fisherman could put one of these things together. Ideal for very limited space. You can actually fit quit a lot on there. You could even put one inside your house/apartment to grow even more. When there is no food left in the supermarkets and western infratructure has been completely taken out by mother nature, its ideal to have as many of these as possible. Of course, a move to some nice land somewhere remote is better and that comes next bounce

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 2 Img01010

Ideal for toms and strawbs but ive got peppers, leeks and onions in there too.
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Mon May 16, 2011 8:34 am

Looks great Floyd. Are those plastic pots or clay and do you have a tray to catch water under them?

I'll get to see my garden tomorrow. Ah, there is no place like home.

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Floyd
    Floyd

Post  Floyd Mon May 16, 2011 8:38 am

Carol wrote:Looks great Floyd. Are those plastic pots or clay and do you have a tray to catch water under them?

I'll get to see my garden tomorrow. Ah, there is no place like home.

Just plastic pots but will keep and reuse each year. There is no tray but any water that does get throgh waters the plants beneath. the capacity for just one is quite a lot so this really is a great solution for space limitations if you are in the city. You can see it in the vid I did.
    Nenuphar
    Nenuphar

Post  Nenuphar Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Cool, Floyd's courgette video! Off to watch it now...! Big Grin 2

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm