tMoA

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
tMoA

~ The only Home on the Web You'll ever need ~

+18
devakas
Betsy
Arrowwind
THEeXchanger
burgundia
Lionhawk
ClearWater
Brook
lindabaker
anomalous cowherd
Ladyfreedom
Floyd
Carol
mudra
MargueriteBee
romina
sjkted
Nenuphar
22 posters

Who is planting a garden this year?

Brook
    Brook

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  Brook Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Whoa..that's pretty good Mudra!

So today we are canning the squash....I have to say at this point in my learning phase...this is not an easy job at all...it's do-able..but not easy. It makes you really appreciate the process and those that have been doing it for so long.

btw...pickles passed the taste test...yummy Wink
    Brook
    Brook

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Empty Re: Who is planting a garden this year?

Post  Brook Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:17 am

Yesterday's work ...Yellow squash

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Photo56a

And our cook off...Lionhawk did the yellow squash..that would be the one that is darker with the bread crust
    Mine is the lighter one that was zucchini....we both won the cook off....I had the best Zucchini casserole..he has the best yellow squash LOL

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Photo57u
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 am

Bravo Brook and LionHawk

Thubs Up Thubs Up

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFw113SXoprcLo1J5ZdGhnVdTuLfqJGVvJUZeuLzmCvqPh1ieRbA

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Z

Love for you
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:57 am

Here is what we are doing as we go. We started a graph of the pricing on the vegetables and we are keeping track of the pounds of vegetables we are harvesting. keeping track...at this point we are approximately at $178.00 or so savings from the store prices. Now the price on the cucumbers that I'm pickling went up and I've priced what a 16 ounce jar of pickles goes for. Including the pricing for the equipment to do the canning.... by the end of summer we should have a fairly accurate estimate of the savings as opposed to buying from the stores. And of course the quality is superior that anything you get at the stores...at least so far it is. But to not let it go to waste as you can see we are canning. We also started carrots and beets to our garden and they are sprouting quite well.

It should be interesting to see the final tally. Wink

I also have to mention the area we are gardening in is not that outstanding...it's big enough..but I am pretty surprised at the amount of vegetables per plant. Being new to this is even more of a wonder in all of this as again this is my first time ever trying anything on this scope. I did try two years ago to start a small garden but it was a huge failure. This is where Lionhawk's knowledge in planting a garden has increased my awareness of "how to" so to speak.
    geek

Today we are canning the zucchini....tomorrow I'm doing two kinds of pickles...garlic dills and bread and butter sweet chips.

Now you guys that have been doing this for a while are probably rolling your eye as me..but to me this is a big deal...LOL
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:27 pm

It is nice to see you all busy, very smoothing and wonderful activities. Just beautiful.

I only grow sweet basil and alphalpha. :(

Anybody is doing salad? Here you go. cheers
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:57 pm

For those interested I would like to draw your attention to Superfoods :

Arrow http://www.themistsofavalon.net/t2386-superfoods

They are a priceless way to boost your health and immune system and go along well with growing an organic garden .
    As you'll see there is a lot one can do using green leaves too .

Enjoy Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra
    Lionhawk
    Lionhawk

Post  Lionhawk Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:57 am

We also planted sweet basil. But I used some ordinary potting soil and it seems very slow growing at this point in time. Smells awesome. Our canning project is going forward and we are learning as we go with the different types of things you can, can.

The pickles that Brook did, were fantastic. First batch at that!

Our cook off was fun too. The teasing that goes along with that. But they both turned out great and it was the first time we both cook up a squash casserole. But I think mine won out as it is almost gone. Bleh (it was really closer to get to in the fridge Thubs Up)
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:39 pm

How about your recipe for your squash casserole Lionhawk?

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    Lionhawk
    Lionhawk

Post  Lionhawk Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Carol wrote:How about your recipe for your squash casserole Lionhawk?

It's a secret! Malletzky
    Shhhh.......(But if you add some par fried bacon, minced garlic, a liberal amount grated extra sharp cheddar, 1 c. milk, then top with herb stuffing, bake at 375 for 45 mins, you still won't have the secret ingredient that makes it happen.) Don't forget the squash. hahahhaha But that still isn't the secret ingredient. hahhahahha Lmao Any guesses?

Tonight's menu is going to be pretty awesome. We went night fishing last night and we caught 3 catfish in the 4lbs. range. So we will be having catfish fillets fried with a corn meal type coating with lots of pepper, pasta salad, SQAUASH (steamed), and let me not forget, Brook's sour puss pickles, oh.... I mean Brook's Select Pickles. (heheehhee) and Brook is making a cake for desert. Lmfao

Brook also caught her biggest fish last night. 3lbs. 12 oz. Mother Earth once again full filled our needs. It is rare to catch 3 fish of this species with the weight they came in, in the lake we fished. So we had a great night as we fished all night. No UFOs to report. Maybe next time. Wink

Last edited by Lionhawk on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Carol
    Carol
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Carol Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Wawawa... abounds delicious! All I'm eating these days is hospital food. At least they bring me in different flavored milkshakes when I ask for them and I do have my expresso machine here. cheers

With deepest respect ~ Aloha & Mahalo, Carol
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:40 pm

This is for you LionHawk and Brook in case you have some zuchinis left .

How to Make Squash Relish.

8 cups yellow summer squash
    2 cups zucchini
    4 cups onions
    1 cup bell pepper (any color)

Pour 5 Tbsp canning salt over and then cover over with water in a large dishpan or bowl. Cover with towel or lid. Let stand overnight or at least 8 hours.

Drain and rinse well. I rinse it in clear cool water 3 or 4 times.

Combine these ingredients in large pot over low heat:
    2 1/2 cups of white vinegar
    5 scant cups of white sugar
    1Tbsp dry mustard
    2 Tbsp celery seed
    1 Tbsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp tumeric

Mix and turn up heat to bring mixture to boil. Pour in diced veggies and bring to boil again. Turn heat down to let mixture simmer for 35-40 minutes. Stir just enough to keep from sticking.

Seal in hot sterilized jars while hot. Leave 3/4 inch headspace for sealing. Let relish rest for 2 wks to get good taste.

Great served over peas, greens and heavenly served with pork as a garnish.

Difficulty: Easy
    Instructions

Things You'll Need
    8 cups diced yellow summer squash
    2 cups diced zucchini
    4 cups diced onions
    1 cup diced bell pepper
    5 Tbsp canning salt
    2 1/2 cups white vinegar
    5 scant cups white sugar
    1 Tbsp dry mustard
    2 Tbsp celery seed
    1 Tbsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp tumeric
    6 pint or 4 quart canning jars, rings and lids
    Dice all the veggies and put into brine bath for at least 8 hours.
    Rinse well and set aside.

Mix pickling ingredients and bring to boil in a large pot such as a canning pot or stock pot. Pour in veggies and bring to boil again.

Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes and then start packing into sterilized hot canning jars. Recipe makes 4 quarts or 6 pints. Personally I like to can in 1/2 pint jars.

Read more: How to Make Squash Relish... awesome | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5102505_make-squash-relish-awesome.html#ixzz1QnFBOyJi

When are you guys opening the restaurant Cheerful

Love from me
    mudra
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks mudra for the superfood link.

Brook and Lionhawk,
    I was thinking about basil and the basil pesto recipe. It should be canned as from Italy pesto is canned (maybe too much oil).
    We do the recipe often and just an idea for some lucky people Cool who have a lot of basil Thubs Up :

Garlic Basil Pesto Sauce

Ingredients:
    1 cup cashews or pine nuts
    3-4 cloves garlic
    3 Tablespoons water
    2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 cup fresh basil, chopped
    a dash of sea salt and black pepper

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQjddmsxWn_zMLyYs1wQhzKR7SKQpKxGH3Ywh0j9FuN-oSmRzIVK7Czo5-

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Basil-pesto-04

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPPzkQn4DJRbWmxXSyOiTdS6xtjU1ZHLHzrULfJt2eGYBiwO4cMjYZPa42

http://greenforks.com/2008/09/basil-pesto-home-grown-is-best/

Lawless
    Lionhawk
    Lionhawk

Post  Lionhawk Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks Mudra and Devakas. Very Happy

I have to go and pull some stuff out tonight from the garden. Brook made some Bread and Butter pickles. The Winner When she was making them, she took a taste of the recipe she was cooking up and I will never forget the sour puss she made. Lolerz Hypnotize

Hospital food? I feel for ya Carol. Wish you weren't so far away, we would deliver you a plate. Hang in there. Candle in the Wind
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Great ideas Mudra and Devakas! I'm on it Wink We have plenty of Zucchini left ....it' just keeps coming. I'm determined not to let any of this crop go to waste.
    GW also gave me a receipt for Zuchini bread that sounds great...next week I'm going to give it a try. here it is...

http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-the-best-zucchini-bread-ever/
    And today we picked these..36 cucumbers

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Photo60z

So I'll bee pickling more in the next few days. The bread and butter pickles are the bomb! I gave a jar to my neighbor and they ate the whole right after I brought it to them.

Also in this pic..on the left are the cucumbers..but next to the cucumbers are the watermelons...and Lionhawk is the proud papa of our first watermelons....as soon as it's dry I'll take a pic of the watermelon that we first saw today. My personal favorite
    Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 245713

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Photo61f
    devakas
    devakas

Post  devakas Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:18 pm

This is for you dear Carol and your mom.

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Carol10

Our souls do not die, do not burn. Our close ones are here, in their spirit they always are here for us, they just leave the body, but they stay in our hearts and remind us all our life in sometimes little detail, thought, lession, book or inspiration, they are here with us, in us, even when they leave body.

hugs from me,

devakas
    The Karen

Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 am

Watermelon..... Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 245713 Almost a foot long now...

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Photo62c
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Raw Food Recipe - Zucchini Pasta with Marinara Sauce - A Raw Diet & Raw Recipe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLi5657CSos

Love Always
    mudra
    Brook
    Brook

Post  Brook Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Who knew there were so many things you could do with cucumbers..... Shocked

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~bcohen/cucumbers/recipes/

Dill pickle soup??
    scratch
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Brook wrote:Who knew there were so many things you could do with cucumbers..... Shocked

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~bcohen/cucumbers/recipes/

Dill pickle soup??
    scratch

Amazing Brook .. The wonderfull thing really about beings is the power of their imagination.

Love from me
    mudra
    enemyofNWO
    enemyofNWO

Post  enemyofNWO Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:19 am

I think that the video below is relevant to this thread . Did you people know that the definition " ORGANIC " is owned by the USDA ?
    This video is at least one year old and I don't knwo if it has been posted before .

Political control freaks take over the Farmers market . This video is

mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 am

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 000

Harvesting and Storing FRESH GARDEN VEGETABLES
    • with Notes on Nutrition •

Jo Ann Robbins, Wm. Michael Colt, and Martha Raidl

Arrow http://www.scribd.com/doc/11052701/Harvesting-and-Storing-Fresh-Garden-Vegetables

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:33 am

Vegetable gardening encyclopedia

Growing , freezing , canning , drying , storing.

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:02 pm

My courgettes are flowering and the rest of the plants have nicely grown cheers
    I had to bring some of the pots down in the garden.

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Sunp0111

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Sunp0112

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Sunp0113

Who is planting a garden this year? - Page 7 Sunp0114

Love Always
    mudra
    mudra
    mudra

Post  mudra Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Gardening with Epsom Salt

Epsom salt has become a popular and well-reputed supplement in organic gardening. With the recent push towards “green” living, Epsom salt is an ideal answer to a variety of organic gardening needs. Both cost effective and gentle on your greenery, Epsom salt is an affordable and green treatment for your well-tended plants—both indoors and out.

Completely one-of-a-kind with a chemical structure unlike any other, Epsom salt (or Magnesium Sulfate) is one of the most economic and versatile salt-like substances in the world. Throughout time, Epsom salt has been known as a wonderful garden supplement, helping to create lush grass, full roses, and healthy, vibrant greenery. It has long been considered a planter’s “secret” ingredient to a lovely, lush garden, and is such a simple, affordable way to have a dramatic impact. Just as gourmet salt works with the ingredients in food to enhance and bring a meal to its full potential, Epsom salt enhances fertilizer and soil’s capabilities to bring a deeper level of vitality to your garden’s composition. Ultra Epsom Salt is the highest quality Epsom salt available, and is widely celebrated for its powerful benefits on natural life, ranging from household plants to shrubs, lawns and even trees.

Table of Contents:

• Why Epsom Salt Works in the Garden
    • Epsom Salt for Houseplants
    • First Planting with Epsom Salt
    • Vegetable Gardens & Epsom Salt
    - Tomatoes & Epsom Salt
    - Peppers & Epsom Salt
    • Flower Gardens & Epsom Salt
    - Roses & Epsom Salt
    - Shrubs & Epsom Salt
    • Lawn Care & Epsom Salt
    • Trees & Epsom Salt

read more Arrow http://www.saltworks.us/gardening-with-epsom-salt.asp#tomatoes

Love Always
    mudra

Arrowwind
    Arrowwind

Post  Arrowwind Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Epsom salts needs to be applied to the garden several times a season as it washes away quickly. Just sprinkle it on then water.. You really can't overdo it

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm